Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
saw this article about duck clubs and headlights....
thank god I have never seen one of these.
had stray dog swim next to me once in a creek
in the dark that was bad enough....lol

Ever step into a blind, field or walk down a dike during
the early season without checking the area with a light?
Well, look at this image and I promise you will look first
before you put your feet down again in the dark.
Thanks Wooley, we now know where they have a complete
line of headlamps! Image provided by D. Wooley of Utah.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
If you look at the picture he is holding the snake on a stick. The snake is about 5 feet in front of the guy making it look much larger than it actually is. It is a huge rattler, just not python size.

You should always check the blind before you jump in. I made the mistake of not checking once. When I got out of the blind I noticed there was a very large black widow sitting on the wall of the blind just underneath where I had my back. It must have been using me to keep warm. :eek:

My hunting partner made the same mistake, he thought because he hunted the blind 2 weeks earlier that it was still clear. After he got out of his blind I checked it. Sure enough a huge widow right under where his back was. There was also one on the floor, and one underneath his stool when I pulled it out. He probably still has nightmares.

I also put my hand next to a baby rattler that was curled up next to the blind, but it was very dormant. Still rather scary. Another time I was walking across the pond after I left the blind. My hand brushed up against my jacket and I felt like a needle poked me or a bug bite or something. I looked down and there was a scorpion hanging off of the pocket of my jacket. I calmly nocked it off into the pond and kept walking. I told my hunting partner, "no big deal, just a scorpion bite." I was just joking around, I don't think it actually stung me, and I was kinda worried that it had, but I never developed any signs of being stung.

:help:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
THis past november i hopped into a sunken blind in the marsh without a light...Ended up being an 8 ft alligator in the blind with me. thank god it wasnt facing the end of the blind i got into

·
Registered
128 Posts
its a diamond back, and judging by its size id say an eastern diamond back. ive came across alot of western diamond backs in arizona and mexico and have seen some that long but never with that much mass, it looks like it just ate a small child!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Any way you look at it, you can tell that snake is as tall if not taller than the person holding him. I doubt that guy is a midget so average height being around 5'9" and if you give it a foot, your still looking at a 4.5 foot snake. HUGE snake

·
Registered
431 Posts
LA.Call'emClose said:
THis past november i hopped into a sunken blind in the marsh without a light...Ended up being an 8 ft alligator in the blind with me. thank god it wasnt facing the end of the blind i got into
That'll get the blood flowing!!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
The snopes article points out the information is probably eroneous. By looking at the picture I judge the snake to be about 5 feet long, which is long for a rattlesnake. It also has enormous girth, probably 6 inches in diameter. I have never seen a rattler that fat, I killed one that was around 4 feet long and about half as fat as that one that had 11 rattles. It was longer before I took the picture, I was more interested in killing the snake it was a good 6-7 inches longer before the shovel hit it. That was one of my more scary encounters with a rattle snake. Both of thos snakes were coiled one on top of the other, so if I cut one of the heads off with the shovel the other one could still strike at me. I swung the shovel and tried to pancake the both of them. The smaller one got stunned and sat there. The big one took off in the weeds. Since they split up I was able to kill the smaller one pretty easy. It had 11 rattles. I chased the other one down and killed it in the bushes, it also had 11 rattles even though it was much larger.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
back when I was hunting A-zone, I went to
sit down by a tree and heard that buzzzing sound...
3ftr curled up in the leaves.... I froze and shot it with
my sidearm... I may have been able to jump, but I saw
the head and and my feet didn't want to move...

fishing.....
had a gardner snake swim to my jon boat, I picked it up
and put it behind my friend, I though he was going to
beat a hole in my boat before I could tell him it was harmless... :hammer:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
heres a bigger pic, look at the space between his hands
and the length after that grabber with his elbow position.
I'm the master of taking pics of huge fish in the foreground
and making them look big..... this one just looks bigger....lol

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a skin on my garage wall of a rattlesnake killed on a Baja quail hunt that was just under 5 feet long with the head and neck shot off. But that was not the biggest I have run into.

I have been around lots of snakes in my life, and have encountered hundreds of rattlesnakes. By FAR the biggest one I ever saw was a very active, very p***ed off, specimen that looked very much like the snake in the picture. It was a good six feet long and very thick.
I ran into that snake along the Sacramento River near Princeton.

·
Registered
128 Posts
if that snake was killed in texas its a wesrtern diamondback, the farthest north you might see them in ca. is along the colorado river basin. north of that through the desert up to maybe fresno they have red diamonds that are fairly dosile but can get BIG, you riverside area guys know what im talking about! on the sac. it was pobably a common western rattler which range from bakersfeild all the way to the canidian border in eastern wash.. ive shot western rattlers in cornfeild we were hunting in central wa. pushing 4 feet, and ive heard of them getting to 5 foot but havnt ran across one yet, thankfully!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.