Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. I am looking for a recommendation on a good side-by-side shotgun. While I don't dismiss autos or pumps, the doubles always felt considerably more natural to me. They just point so well.

Here is what I am looking for:

Gauge: 12 Gauge, 3" though wouldn't be opposed to a 10 Gauge or, *maybe* a 2 3/4 only 12. (Is it just me or is the 10 a gonner these days?)
Barrel Length: At least 26in. w/ removable chokes.
Wood/Finish: Anything decent. The more rust-resistant, the better.
Cost: None of those ultra-expensive European or Ruger doubles. This is for a work'n guy, and I want to keep it between $200-$300 for a used gun. If it was new I'd obviously go more ($300-$400), but would rather go used.

I am looking at using this arm to hunt duck and grouse in the NW. It will also be used for varmints (coyotes manly) only when get on my land. Other than that, I'm not going to go looking for them.

I'm looking @ Stoeger or EAA right now, but welcome any input. Also, if I'm not able to find used locally, any recommendations online that will ship to my FFL? Thank you for your time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I went to the local gunsmith today and we talked about the doubles.

He had a couple autos there were pretty nice that pointed well for me. One was a Remington 11-something that fired 3" shells, but won't cycle on 2 3/4". It was near new and he wanted $350. Is this a good deal? I will only be using 3" for duck, so the part about not cycling 2 3/4" isn't a big deal to me.

Thanks. If anyone has an answer to either of my questions, I would be grateful. *** bless.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm assuming the Remington 11-87???

Doesn't cycle 2 3/4"? Hmmmm...my buddies doesn't have that problem. I would be a little careful. You'd hate to ALWAYS be limited to 3" shells, a gun should allow more versatility than that.

good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the follow up. I located a Stevens 311 in a town a mile away. The person I talked to says it will handle 2 3/4" and 3". Doesn't sound right as I thought the 311 was an older gun. Is this right?

Either way, I will likely check it out tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update. I bought the Stevens 311. It has a 28" barrel and will handle both 2 3/4" & 3" shells. I got a good price on it too.

It looks nice and utilitarian...plain if you will. Just like me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
going to the remi that only cycled 3 inch cartridges, - the thing is with the m1100 magnum is it has a much stronger spring in the action than the 2 3/4 chambered vesion to cope with the higher pressures, this means that SOME 2 3/4 cartridges simply can't work the action hard enough to load the next cartridge, if you are shooting steel loads you could get a remi with the action from a 2 3/4 inch gun and a weaker string but 3 inch chambers in the barrel. this means that you can shoot 3 inch steel loads but i stress only shoot 3 inch in steel as these produce lower pressures and still use 2 3/4 loads in lead bismuth tungsten hevi shot etc etc and you should have no cycling problems at all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Jubnut hit this one on the head...it is an 1100 in 3 inch and yes it wont cylce steel loads under 3inch......mine won't cycle 3 inch sometimes. Visit the LOOKING FOR AN AUTO forum to see more on why I dislike this model 1100. As for the stevens 311.....I have one in 20ga that I grew up with and it is my rabbit workhorse. I have killed at least 80 bunnies with this gun in 4 or 5 years. AS for shooting steel......watch out as the tighter barrel may be too tight and may even stress fracture with a large sized shot steel load. I would shoot bismuth if I were to shoot mine at waterfowl. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have a stoeger double and i love it. nothing special about it but it will bring home the meat. had it 2 years and no problems yet

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Looks like you made a good decision "PlainPerson". I was in a blind this weekend with a fellow that had a brand new sxs, it was a Baikal imported through Stevens. Fit was very good, wood was good and the finish was excellent (although I would prefer a parkerized or matte finish). Cost was very much within your range.

Regardless, I am sure you will appreciate the older Stevens and get lot's of use out of it. They were very well made by New England craftsmen. I guess the only negative is that you probably have fixed chokes instead of screw in tubes. Good luck and enjoy!!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can't believe I'm responding to a four-year old post, but thought I would answer the question in case anyone is in the same boat. The Stevens 511 I have has fixed chokes and therefore I have to use a steel substitute. I'm not sure about the new ones they're importing though.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Is this the same person who posted the initial question? Wow, good memory to go back and find that post if it was. All this time and you finally register? Welcome to DHC!
-Erik

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yep, I'm the same person. I was looking for a duck hunting chat and remembered that I had posted on one years ago. That's how I found it via google. I'm a little surprised I was able to find it.

Take care. :smile:

·
Registered
1 Posts
You could probably have the forcing cones lengthened and interchangeable tubes installed on your older gun to allow for steel. I believe Carlson's Choke Tubes (www.choketube.com) does this, as I'm sure many others do as well. Guess it depends how much you shoot whether or not its worth the $$$.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
Buy the Baikal SxS. Check out CDNN for availability and an excellent price. 800-588-9500. They have a single trigger 3" 26" with 3 chokes for $270. They will have to ship to an FFL which will be about $25. Ned S

1 - 14 of 14 Posts