Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What reed configuaration do you prefer?
Single Reed2976.32%
Double Reed923.68%

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hey all, in an effort to help educate those of us who are new to calling/duck hunting/etc. i am going to be creating some polls on various topics. please vote and reply with why. we'll start off with a topic i haven't seen mentioned here in awhile.

Tell us about the reed configuration you prefer and why.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I know this defeats the 'dialog' purpose of this thread, but if you really want to hear the straight dope from someone that knows, check out the post by Christian Curtis from late last year, on this forum. If you don't know who he is:

Co-Designed the RNT Timbre & Quackhead Timber call, two time World Champion "Meat" Caller, Avery Pro Staffer, Realtree Pro Staffer, Guide. So he knows what he is talking about and it would be hard to say it any better.

"The basic difference between a single and double reed is the tone or tones able to be produced by the call. With a double reed, you basically get one "pitch" no matter how you put air in the call. On most well made DR calls, that one pitch is definitely a duck....but it is only one duck. This is because the top reed restricts the bottom reed with respect to the distance it can move. A single reed, on the other hand, will produce a wide range of "pitches" and is limited only by the operator's proficiency in blowing one, not by an extra reed. (i.e. you can sound like many different ducks.) (Obviously we are talking about a single reed duck call that is well manufactured and a capable tool. There are many good calls on the market today.) As far as starting off with a double reed then going to a single reed...at all of my seminars, I HIGHLY discourage this practice. IT does way more harm than good. The calls operate totally different! It's like saying, go play European Football (Soccer), then when you get good at it, switch over to American rules. Just ain't the same game...My suggestion is this; If you like how the DR's sound and blow then stick with them...If you like the way a SR sounds then stick with those. SR's are harder to learn BUT, in my opinion they are worth the extra practice time."[/b]

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know I'm not the only double reed guy on this forum.....I'm shifting toward a single but for now the double closes the deal.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I still can't figure out just how it is so different in blowing a single than a double....I have dvd's but I don't still can't figure out what is so different.....maybe someone can clue me in.

·
Registered
271 Posts
"The basic difference between a single and double reed is the tone or tones able to be produced by the call. With a double reed, you basically get one "pitch" no matter how you put air in the call."

THAT is the difference. That is NOT true for a single reed. I don't know how Christian feels about the opposite direction (learn on single and blow a double), but for me, it works. I practice non-stop with a single reed but sometimes blow a double while hunting. The more I practice on the single the better I sound on my double. There are, however, limitations to what the double can do. Are the limitations significant, no. I've said it before, there are things you WANT and things you NEED. Do I NEED to blow a single reed in order to sound just like a duck, no. Do I WANT to be able to sound just like a duck with a single reed, yes.

It is all preference and opinion, and that is mine...

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I use both but find for bringing duck over from the far side of the swamp and in our faces the double reed works better for me. I seems to give a better softer note for in close and has enough volume for drawing them from the far side of the swamp.

Keep takin those shooting lessons, I think they're working cause your starting to get some tail feathers.

Keep the sport alive take a kid hunting / fishing.

·
Registered
883 Posts
My feelings on single or double reed is that it depends on what I want the call to do, get loud or be soft, sound like one duck or many. Basically what most of you are saying I guess, but I use both. Just depends on what I want the call for and what I want it to sound like for me at a particular time. Does that make sense to anyone else but me?
:salude:

·
Registered
592 Posts
SteveInTN has this right on the money. It's all about preference and what you want to do with a call. What kind of caller do you want to be and what kind of style do you want. Do you want to be able to scream at those ducks from afar with a great loud pitch and then be able to bring it on down in the low pitch when those duck are tight, or do u just want a duck call you can be ducky with and not have to worry about anything else but being ducky. Both have their pros and cons. Its all about what kind of duck caller you want to be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.