Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Rough up the existing eyes w/ fine grit emery cloth. Paint w/ some Testors "gloss coat" or any other hobby coat. When dry, go over w/ the emery, paint w/ Future acrylic wax. Sounds involved; but if you get all of these things together, this would take about an hour or less per decoy. If the eyes are colored (like wood ducks), paint in a gloss black pupil before you paint on the gloss coat.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I guess it depends on if you have the time. Some guys think--if they are so close to see wether there are glass eyes--they is dead. It all depends. Some guys still use the basic light brown/dark brown for puddlers and blac/white for divers with little detail. Others are airbrushing ultra realistic detailing. I look at it this way--it is not worth alot of detailing if you are hard on the decoys. Much of the modern detailing on decoys is to sell decoys to the hunters-to catch the hunters eye VS the ducks eye if you will. And of course there is if you are interested in painting decoys as a hobby-an entirely different reason VS just having working hunting decoys to hunt over IMO.

I personally do some detailing on my custon Snows/blues Silos and Socks, but none on the stock G&H duck decoys that I use.

I each his own is my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
dosen't matter.......no way they can see gloss on the eyes. Think like a duck flying over at 15 mph. All they see are blotches of color....if anything magnify the black and white on your deks. I know what your thinking...."but when they set there wings and are almost hovering they might be able to see the eyes clearly"......like h2owlr said if there that close they should be dead.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I put either a hard clear nail polish or Liquidtex acrylic gloss on all my deke's eyes. I can see that little "glint" at 30+ yards easily, so if that MAY make a difference in the birds "finishing" it's worth the small amount of time it takes to do them.

:)

·
Registered
63 Posts
i actually incorporated little motors to make the eyes blink. just make sure you get the timing right on the blinks, or youll scare every duck out of the county. also, just making a mallard hen blink one eye will often bring in lonely drakes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
:laughing:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.