Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will soon buy getting a Mossberg 500 Bantam in .410. It has a fixed full choke and was going to use it for shooting skeet and whatever else winds up at the end of the barrel, With a full choke I hope I'll actually hit something. Wont be using it for ducks after everthing I've read. I was told to shoot 2 3/4, 7 1/2 X 1/2 oz shot.
Anyway, is it going to be more cost effective to reload my own or buy boxes from the store.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I would go with the #8 shot or even 8.5 if you can find it for all around play and #9 if you stay in skeet range. You need all you can get in a 410. A 410 is not patterned at the same range as the larger ga. guns so a full in a 410 is not as tight as you would think. You can pay for a single stage loader in a reasonable time shooting 410.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Once you have the hulls loading your own will save you a ton of money. I have been loading the 410 with a mec jr for 3 years now and love rolling my own. I got lucky and bought 4 cases of the new winchester aa hulls when walmart first started carrying them. Only paid $50 a case for them. As far as the powder, shot, wads and primers they cost just the same as for all other gauges. I think I am loading for about $2.00 a box right now. Bought a lot of stuff before the price hikes. I think you still could load a box for about $3 or $4 with currant prices. It beats the heck out of $8 to $10 a box you have to pay for factory now.

Good luck and have fun :thumbsup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hamernhonkers said:
Once you have the hulls loading your own will save you a ton of money. I have been loading the 410 with a mec jr for 3 years now and love rolling my own. I got lucky and bought 4 cases of the new winchester aa hulls when walmart first started carrying them. Only paid $50 a case for them. As far as the powder, shot, wads and primers they cost just the same as for all other gauges. I think I am loading for about $2.00 a box right now. Bought a lot of stuff before the price hikes. I think you still could load a box for about $3 or $4 with currant prices. It beats the heck out of $8 to $10 a box you have to pay for factory now.

Good luck and have fun :thumbsup:
Thanks for the info, I just need to look into where to get the rest of my supplies at.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
DUCKSHOT if you post up in the reloading forum where you live someone might have some suggestions for good places to buy in your area. You could also try a post on where to buy reloading supplies in your state forum.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
The "Little" .410 needs a full choke to get enough pellets on a target.

It is ment to be a short range gun, but last month I broke 21 clays out of 25 with 1/2oz of # 8 's, at the 27 yard line.

#9 shoot is the best pellet for this gun, but 8.5 and 8's will work,
they just drop your odds a little on close shots.

You get a few more with a 3" hull, where 71/2's might be used ??

Reloading is the ONLY way to go. :thumbsup:

Good shooting Sage

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thaner said:
DUCKSHOT if you post up in the reloading forum where you live someone might have some suggestions for good places to buy in your area. You could also try a post on where to buy reloading supplies in your state forum.
If I'm not mistaken this is the reloading forum but I'm in Louisiana if anyone knows some suppliers round here.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
:smile: yes it is the reloading forum, but I was thinking a new post that more people would look at. A lot of people don't load or have much interest in 410's. Maybe a new one like "where to buy reloading supplies in Louisiana?" would get more responses. Just a thought. Good luck with the 410; it's a hoot to shoot! If you can stand the low scores and cold streaks that tend to come with it. :smile: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
for the 410, dont get a progressive loader. a 600jr is your best bet. i just saw one at a gun swap that was set up for 410 yesterday for 45 bucks. came with hulls wads and a ton of bushings. i also got a texan 12ga loader for free!! its a junker, but it was free...

your local gun shop will likely have everything you need to load lead. if they dont, they will know who does, or they can add it to their next shipment for you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thaner said:
:smile: yes it is the reloading forum, but I was thinking a new post that more people would look at. A lot of people don't load or have much interest in 410's. Maybe a new one like "where to buy reloading supplies in Louisiana?" would get more responses. Just a thought. Good luck with the 410; it's a hoot to shoot! If you can stand the low scores and cold streaks that tend to come with it. :smile: :rolleyes:
Duhh, my bad.
I'll proably post something up like that later along with some other threads about 'Hevi Steel' and 'do I really need to shoot 3 1/2's'

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was told they make some extended wads that I can use from Ballistic Products. Dont know if they'll work but will be talkin to them later on about.
But like I mentioned before I probably wont shoot ducks with it because the pellets supposedly bounces off of them but I dont know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts