Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much do you save by reloading hevi-shot? is it quite a bit? Thanks

Mallyard

·
Registered
47 Posts
As long as you have all the normal loading gear just pick up the Hevi shot loading kit. It comes with the High Brass hulls (100), Hevi shot (10lbs) in bb-6, wads, and felt spacers, and reference guide, all for around $125. Depending on what payload you want to shoot, it will cost about 1/2 as much as buying boxes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
HI All

We are going to reload hevi-shot---the kit from Ballistic Products will more than half the cost---$1.42 vs 3.25 / shell in Canada--seems very dear---but after shooting the reloads from a friend,it is the only sure shot for the large Canada geese!!The price in Canada for 10 shells is from $27 to 36 at present!

We can hope that the price of mass production will lower the cost--it patterns superbly and has more pellets/oz---just a fantastic shot!!!

TOM

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do a search for Ballistic products and you will find all the info on their kits--we just ordered the 12 g 2 3/4 kit and have loaded #4 shot-1 1/8 oz,using 29 gr of 4756 powder.

Results: very dense pattern---distance shots to 60 yards are quite normal---something we would never do with steel---very humane instant kills--Haven't bit into one of the pellets yet--bet it would smart!

When you first look at the bag of pellets,you would think someone sold you old used shot---it is very non-uniform in size and shape.Apparently it is made from molten metal and is quite unusual.At first thought I figured it would never pattern properly--too many different shapes and sizes.However using a buffer and felt backing in the wad---it does quite nicely.Still very expensive to reload--$1.23 per shell roughly--providing you already have the powder.

Definately worth the try!!

TOM

·
Registered
4 Posts
I shoot a 10 guage 1-3/4 oz Hevi-shot load. From Cabellas (and most other places) the cost is about $2.20 per shell (U.S). You can buy Hevi-shot for reloading at about $100 for 10 pounds. I can load 91 shells at 1-3/4 oz. per shell for a cost of about $1.10 per shell for shot only. Primer, powder, wad, felt spacer (if necessary), buffer and tight seal (if desired), primer seal and crimp seal are extra. Still a heck of a savings and you can push it faster than 1300 feet per second which is the Remington Hevi-shot muzzle velocity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've found a few little issues using the Ballistics Products hevi-shot kit;

I've had to add a couple of things to fill up the shell in order to get a good crimp;

I add a nitro card over the powder, then seat the wad; on top of the shot after adding the buffer I put 2 thin overshot cards.

I use a MEC Sizemaster reloader; without these 2 additions I was not getting a very good crimp at all---the load was too low in the cup.

I did consult with BPI before making these adjustments and went with their recommendations after I explained the situation. Good folks at BPI.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts