Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
Yep! Most steel reloaders use STEEL which doesn't throw very well with bars and inserts or adjustable bars. It's also tough to drop steel bigger than 3's. Most reloaders weigh their powder and shot or count their bigger pellets (2's and bigger) using Winch empty small rifle trays taping off the unused holes and making two throws when necessary. They then pour the counted shot into a mounted funnel with the hull underneath. Don't buy the steel kit. Just use your press as is. I dispense my STEEL powder with a Lyman 1200 dispenser. Good luck. Ned S

·
Registered
29 Posts
Get as many GOOD reloading manuals as you can to help you narrow down which loads might fit your shooting needs.
Follow other threads on this site authored by Ned and Sagebrush and OhSay, these guys have great advice that they share , that should give you a starting point.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Yes. The main one being that steel loads aren't as forgiving. A little variance in shot here, a little variance in powder there, create much more dramatic results with steel as opposed to lead. And as Ned sad, sadly, the most effective powder (STEEL) meters poorly. A good scale is a must. That doesn't mean it has to be a high dollar one though. Even a decent one (accurate up to 1000 grains) will save you from having to do the spent primer tray thing though. I honestly don't know how some people do that. Drives me crazy. Way too slow.

The other main difference in my opinion is effectiveness. I think most factory steel loads are pretty terrible compared to what I shoot these days. I honestly could never go back. Hopefully one day you'll be saying the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.