Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think a remington 11-87 is a great gun from reading the discription, but i am looking for a few reviews, would any one recomend it? please suggest others in the same price range. (I need this shotgun for waterfowl).

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have shot all the big name 3.5 inch autos and my preference is the benelli sbe. Its raised rib allows me to throw it up and already have a perfect site down the barrel. 1187 is a good gun too, lower rib but still good. Its actually an auto 870 just about so if you shot good with and 870, it will be an easy transition.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey, i am going to get an 11-87. i think that remington is a great gun because you can trust the cuality of the brand. you know your getting a great gun because they have been around for so long. i dont care what people think the sbe is a great gun but how long has benelli been around compared to remington. get a remington :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have owned them all. I have had remingtons that shot well and others that have jammed. I will not buy a sbe due to the recoil in that 3.5 inch gun. If I wanted recoil, I will shoot my 3.5 inch citori. FYI, benelli is a spinoff of Beretta....the oldest gun company in the world. Just to let you know.

·
Registered
47 Posts
SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!! I bought the 11-87 Super Mag and have been kicking my self ever since. Its 2 years old now and and a paperweight/boat anchor. I use by Browning gold. The Remington has had about 1500 rds shot through it now and I dont dare break it down to clean it without my kevlar search gloves. The wear in the reciever where the bolt slides is razor sharp. as well as other areas. I shot the 11-87 in everything from Sea ducks to 5 stand and liked it, but It looks like I'll be getting another replacement for it soon. Prolly an SBE2. It was an oil HOG and shows too much wear for what its done. I paid 800 bucks for it new and also had to replace the fore arm after the first year. ***? My Gold has about twice as many rounds through it and shows half of the wear. Remington rifles (YES)! Remington Shotguns (NO)!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
all i shoot are remingtons. and i haven't had any problems from my 11-87. it is 12 years old and all my friends want to buy it from me because they love it. mine however, is a 3". i think that makes all the difference in the world as to how well the gun will shoot. my brother had a 3 1/2" and it jammed. i stick with the 3". it is a great gun. worth every bit of your money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking into buying a 11-87 sm but everybody telling me to buy the sbe. I can't see putting that kind $ in a shotgun. My luck the thing would drop in the lake and wouldn't shoot on my way to the blind.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I've been looking at an 11-87 myself. A guy I know bought a beretta and even though it's a really, really nice gun he still prefers his Remington. Unfortunately I haven't been able to shoot it yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i think that a remington 11-87 is not a great buy...i have shot one for a while...it was my first shot gun, yet if i was buying a gun and trying to get a good one i would go for a browning A5, binelli m2 field, or sbe, or berretta pintail.....these are the best according to me

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey new the forum, Just had a friend order me 11-87 sm. I hope this is the gun for me. I've shot the sbe goose hunting in North Ga. Its a sweet shooting gun. But I'm faithful to the one I count on time and time again,
Remington. Does anybody have any hints or tips they care to share? Hawk

·
Registered
696 Posts
clean it every time you shoot it, you dont need to, all ive ever shot for competition was a remington 1100, i still shoot it and clean it after everytime i take it out, and ive never had a malfunction in competition, and ive had one in the field,(dont ask me how a stock of maize got stuck in the receiver, anyway, i was just at a competition, and i was the only one who cleans my gun everytime i take it out, nota malfunction, everyone else was using remington 1100's and veronas, mine was the only one that didnt stutter

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey does anybody know what the barrel seal activator is ? book recommends that you use while shooting 2 3/4 inch shells. My question is do I need to take it off when I shoot 3 inch shells? This is for the 11-87 sps sm. :withstupid:

·
Registered
290 Posts
My group hunts with SuperX2, SBEII, 11-87 SPS. The guy that uses the 11-87 SPS hates his gun it always jams when shooting the 3 1/2's, and customer service knows him by name, last year they sent him a free barrel because he has so much trouble with gun. For the money I would go with SuperX2, but the SBEII is extremely light. Just depend on what you wanna spend. Good Luck

·
Registered
290 Posts
Oh But my Father loves his 11-87 but it isnt an SPS it only shoots 2 3/4 or 3 inch it never jams, but the 3 1/2 gun hear nothing but bad!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ishot an 1187 3'' for 10 years [loved it] Decided to get neww 3.5'' gun stayed with remington--- Hated that sumB-- sent two berrels back -- sent gun back--got replaceement from remington, and still jam, jam, dam.
fought with remington untill they refunded my money--finaly a wake from 6 month long nightmare to see the light -a browning gold. Don't get me wrong I love the 1187 3''and would recomend it to any one. I swear that gun only jammed twice in the 10 years I hunted with it.But please do your self a favor and stay a way from the remington 3.5''.

·
Registered
276 Posts
TEAM GOOSE said:
all i shoot are remingtons. and i haven't had any problems from my 11-87. it is 12 years old and all my friends want to buy it from me because they love it. mine however, is a 3". i think that makes all the difference in the world as to how well the gun will shoot. my brother had a 3 1/2" and it jammed. i stick with the 3". it is a great gun. worth every bit of your money.
cant seem to get this dang quote to work...but anyways i agree with teamgoose, i shoot 3" and it never jams...

Greatly said....My 11-87 is the best gun ever!!! wouldnt sell it for anything
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hawk

Yes you need to remove the barrel seal ring if you plan on using anything over 2 3/4. I did not remove this and about half way thru the season I started to experience troubles. I really like my 11-87 I was really frustrated with the troubles but once I knew the fix everthing was great. I also own a Benelli SBE and I like the Rem 11-87 just as much. You will need to clean every 4th or 5th time, I did and did not have any problems. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Im sorry i missed this topic from the begining :oops:

I bought the 11-87 spsm 3 1/2 and it kept jaming on me so (Short story)
the 3rd time i sent it back they sent me a brand new one. so far so good

so as for customer service Remington is great and at least its American made.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts