Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading up on this Hevi Shot and it looks like it might be one of the best choices availible for ducks and geese.

I see Remington makes it in a bunch of different pay loads and 2 differet velocity ranges in 12ga.
I'm interested in the 3" and 3 1/2" stuff.
Now I realize its what your gun patterns best ect. But is there any preferences in these loads? ie; 1 1/4oz. High Velocity or Nito Mags in loads from 1 1/4, 1 3/8, 1 1/2, 1 5/8, 1 3/4oz loads depending on 3" or 3 1/2" shells.
Since theres such a wide range of choices I'm a little unsure as to where to start.

So I thought I'd ask what are the prefered payloads if your gun shoots them well?
And has anyone had any problems (any kind) with Remington Hevi Shot ammo.
I'm not too concerned with costs of this ammo,I realize its high but if it works better I'll pay the price.
Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
Muskrat
I tried it last year an was happy with it. I was only able to find 3 boxes of 2 3/4"-#4 and 1 box of 2 3/4"-#6. This year I'll try the 3"-#6. I liked #6's better than the #4's. If you get the heavier load its speed is closer to the lead you get and shoot at the skeet and trap houses. Last year they had $5 rebates for 2 boxes (20 shells) and $15 for five boxes (50 shells), hopefully they do that again this year.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I used the hevi-shot high velocity this past season for the first time and I loved it. I used 3" 2's in a 870 and it patterned great and was deadly on ducks. I'm gonna stock up on it over the summer so I'll have plenty for next year.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Most guys using HS are long range or Honker hunters from what I've seen. It is expensive, and unless you have deep pockets, too pricey for most. If hunting ducks over decoys, a HV steel shot works great, so why pay more? Even bbb ballistically can be lethal to about 70ds, but most guys are not able to figure the lead well enough to shoot consistantly even 1/2 that far anyway. But big geese like the Giant resident Honkers, I can see the benefits of HS, or if pass shooting Greaters or Mallards.

But, I believe we would need to know a lot more about what species and conditions you plan of hunting to even begin the recomend a HS load.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All I know is these are Canada Geese.Look to be about 10 or so pounders,but thats just guessing there weight. They live here year round.Got the rascals nesting on all my ponds. 1 pair has just hatched 5 baby geese.
And i'd like to hunt the river for ducks,mostly Mallards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.