Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a few posts in the forum about the rice breast parasite. I was wondering if anyone knew if it is shared by ducks in a common environment. I shot two woodies on two different days in one hole this year, and they both were infected. If it is because of something in the water or location, I'm abandoning that spot for next year because I can't stand to waste the meat, but I damn sure couldnt stand to eat it either.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
It is wicked gross, I agree. and I will admit to throwing 2 ducks in the burning barrel a few years ago that had it. There are people here who say go ahead and eat it, it won't hurt you but that is some gagging stuff if I ever saw it. I rarely skin my ducks so I probably have eaten it without knowing it. I don't think it's where they are but what they are eating that infects them. It's gross as hell though that's for sure.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don't know that it is shared in certain evironments, but is shared in what they are feeding on.

We killed alot of ducks this year in the exact same environment, but only saw 1 single duck that had the parasite.

Like the rest, I won't eat them with that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I rarely skin my ducks so I probably have eaten it without knowing it.
I have a buddy who's 52 years old and has Duck hunted since he was 14. He told me he has never seen a duck with rice breast :huh:

He plucks every duck he shoots So I'm sure he has eaten several ducks with rice breast in his live time :oops:

I pick some and I breast some out. If I see them little maggots I'll throw them out too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Every year we get a few black ducks that have it, don't see any other species that have it. I only started to get them with this parisite maybe 4 years ago. I won't eat it either :eek: .

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Yes, Its environment, the parasite will live in the water and food source, as well as to be transmitted in high waterfowl population areas IE: NOT SE ARKANSAS

·
Banned
9,006 Posts
I shot one, and I had never seen or heard about that before then, and I just about shrieked like a 10 year old girl when I peeled the skin back on the duck and saw all these nasty martians living in the breast meat of the mallard I shot.

I won't eat a duck with that trash. I don't feel too bad about wasting though, I mean, its not like I wanted to waste the the meat.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the good news about that was, that a few days later, we went back and I shot a woodie drake, but being too scared to breast it out cuz of the previous maggots, I just dropped em off at the taxidermist. :yes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts