Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey im looking for some info on laying out my new river dekes.. where i set up is about 20 yards away from a sharp right turn and the river is only about 40 yards across but really low level in the winter.. so any help would be appreciated.. thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jsut looking for anything that might help me i have hunted this spot before and the ducks seem to be in just a tight little wad abotu 2 feet off shore.. but i havnt hunted this spot with dekes before so i am wondering how i would go about settin them up

·
Registered
250 Posts
i would say just set your dekes up like they are when the sit on the water this is what they do so it will look the most natural to them

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Can the birds feed anywhere in your river or just along the sides? Also do you have trees that grow along the river and hang over the water? I know woodies love to tuck up in tight in the corners under the tress feeding on what drops in the water, mallards as well. Do a ton of scouting and find out where the feeds are and set up there. As for setting your decoys I wouldn't worry about any real patterns, just keep your decoys well spread out maling it look like everything is OK. Keep your woodies seperated from your Mallards. Leave the fish ducks for those who can't kill the Mallards and Woodies :rofl: Later dude :thumbsup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
The river I hunt is almost the same. Every time I see the birds land the edge is the first place they go. When walking up, i kick them up while they are sitting on the edge. What I do is put more decoys on the far edge, and a couple on my side. From what I have seen they land where it is more open. Be sure you have some good camo. I also try to throw one or two drakes in the middle so they can see them from a distance. This is what works for me. Good Luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts