Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm a newbie here and was wondering what you guys think of the robo ducks---The 1st split in Colorado is tomorrow and my hunting buddies want to go in on one---saw a robo on the river last year and the guys were slayin' em---am I too old school w/ just some deeks and a double reed?? Or are these things worth the 120$$

·
Registered
6 Posts
if you want ducks to almost land on top of you,you"l get a robo duck.we have real good luck with them early in the season,then later on,they work good early in the mornings,i guess the ducks do get used to them.i never thought i"d get one,but i did last year,heck i got another one this year.i say they will help bag more ducks,but you dont want to say that to loud,or they will outlaw them here,likethey did in some states.

G

·
Man oh man---did awesome on the S. Platte---except for sky busters and guys that couldn't stay out of there spread, (flaring away the ducks)
I'd say it was a great day!! And the robo-duck made a HUGE difference!! It's like a duck magnet----but you're right---keep it on the hush---saw a warden, who said there is already talk of banning them in CO---saw lots of mallards, and a few woodies, not one teal though---hope it keeps up all year---still, I couldn't help but feel we were cheating a bit---didn't even have to scare them away w/ my calling!! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
They are definately worth the $120 but if you are worried you can try one out from macks prarie wings ( www.mackspw.com) for $40. It called the baby or junior mojo and comes with everything you need except for a decoy and charger. Or you can buy the complete version. If you get one and hunt open water don't use the stake. I wathced the hunter next to us lose 2 mojo's in 10 minutes. They fell right in the water. don;t know if they still work after that. We built a large pentagon shaped float for ours out of pvc pipe and camoflaged it and it works great.

I am going to try out the do it yourself junior mojo kit in a few weeks...

G

·
YOU CAN USE CONDUIT PIPE FOR THE POLES. DIFFERENT SIZES FIT DIFFERENT DUCKS. THE MOJO WILL FIT INTO THE THREE QUARTER INCH. I HAVE A LUCKY DUCK THAT WILL FIT THE ONE INCH.

THESE PIPES ARE 10 FEET LONG. I JUST SPRATY PAINT THEM WITH SOME WALMART FLAT BLACK AND STICK THEM IN FRONT OF THE BLIND. THEY ARE CHEAP AT ABOUT 2.00 EACH AND MAKE EXCELENT POLES FOR THE MOJO'S,

YES THEY DO WORK VERY WELL. I LIKE THE LUCKY DUCK ALOT BETTER THAN THE MOJO. MY MOJO'S REMOTE WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY.

·
Registered
21 Posts
thats true the remote is kind of touchy on my mojo too but it isn;t even necessary since we never turn it off. I am having my friend wire up my own multi-cycle. Then it will be on for a few seconds and off for a few. He is an electrical engineer major so i trust his work.

G

·
LET US KNOW HOW HE DID IT. THAT SOUNDS LIKE A SOLUTION TO MY PROBLEM ALSO. AT ALMOST $200.00 THE DAMN THING SHOULD WORK LIKE IT IS SUPPOSED TO.

·
Registered
27 Posts
the mojo mallard isnt as good as u guys think it only works in the early season when the dumb ducks are around. and hten it wont work, it might work good some early mornings but later in the day they aint worth a damn. i found out that a real hunter dont need a mojo

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well i never wanted to use one when they first came out, but i was kind of forced to buy and use on because every other hunter around me had one and we didn;t even get one shot off while they spent the whole day shooting. We did a hell of alot better than other hunters from experience (duck hunters in my family back as far as anyone knows). If i could bring ducks to my dekes away from others mojo's i wouldn;t use one, but i can't. And yes it doesn;t work as well in the late season, but we still get more birds than any other hunters in the area because we knew what we were doing before the mojo came out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I dont own one but have hunted over them a bit. My opinion is if you get one, get two instead. Ducks are learning that one is bad. You will get a pile of Juvies that dont know, but the bigger ones shy away. So two or more is the key. As for 120 bucks. Flambeau has one out for under 100 and that is still to rich for my blood. When they come down a little more, Then I will get a couple. Also, what I have noticed is ducks havent landed with robos. They come in real close and flare. They are learning.

G

·
DUCKHUNTER- YOUR ARE CORRECT. I PURCHASED A SECOND ONE LAST YEAR AND NOW PUT BOTH OUT. IT DOES SEEM TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. I JUST PUT E'M IN FRONT OF THE BLIND, ONE ON EACH SIDE OF THE DECOYS AND TURN E'M ON. DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE A BETTER PLAN TO POSITION THE MOJO'S AROUND THE DECOYS. IS ONE WAY BETTER THAN ANOTHER , OR DOES IT MATTER??

·
Registered
21 Posts
We only have one but i just bought a junior mojo so we will have a second this year. I always try to put the mojo on the downwind side of the dekes where the duck would land anyways. I wouldn;t put it too close to the blind or the duck will be looking closer to your blind. I try to make them focus on something not right next to the blind.

And with the mojo where it is you might think it will get in the way of your shooting, but i have only had 1 duck out of many fly directly behind the mojo. Most of the time they line up to land behind it and if they turn they seem to go directly away so that they don;t have to fight the wind.

Other i have seen set there mojo up in different places, but it doesn't seem to work as well. If you hunt over open water i would get a floating stand that will stay pointed into the wind even if the direction changes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have heard of them. But to me, ANY spinng wing decoy is generically named "robo duck". As long as it spins the wings and kills duck, its worth it.

G

·
redlegged mallard said:
the mojo mallard isnt as good as u guys think it only works in the early season when the dumb ducks are around. and hten it wont work, it might work good some early mornings but later in the day they aint worth a damn. i found out that a real hunter dont need a mojo
I AGREE. I MIGHT BE OLD SCHOOL BUT I DON'T USE'M TO MUCH TO DEAL WITH ALREADY WHAT EVER HAPPEN TO GOOD OLD FASHION CALLING AND A GOOD SPREAD. I'VE KILLED JUST AS MANY WITHOUT AS SOME PEOPLE DO WITH ESPECILLY ON THOSE GOOD COLD FRONT DAYS REAL HUNTERS DON'T NEED EM

G

·
They now make a floater model that works well in deeper water. I use em, I love em, and would recommend getting as long a pole as you can on one of them and maybe a short pole or a floater for the other.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a robo duck. When he says juvies he means it. Nothing but little tiny things that fly around. Also you get alot of hens in with 'em. Dont know why. Definately works better on opening day on private land where no one can use you for it. Like if you miss they are like 200 yrds away and take the ones you missed. Today we went out and got 0. Even with that thing there. We had so many at like 100 yrds away and they didnt even stop or vear towards us. I dunno it looks like they just became immune to the virus .

Also hi Duckhntr I came here cuz they want to kick me off the other forum at "The Fuge". What kind of BS is that! :evil: :evil: :evil:

G

·
....alright what do u guys think. hunting northern mallards comin outta the refuge is it better to set out 4 or 5 mojo's comparded to 1 or 2 . or is it gonna be to much for them.... seemed to work well with 2 but you think to more real u can get it to look the better luck u have ... just shot a drake mallard last night with 2 bands ... one was $100 rewards just wandering if any one has ever seen anything like it

G

·
RNTCALLER..................I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF SOMEONE GETTING TWO BANDS OFF ONE DUCK. THAT IS SPECIAL.

YOU CAN TAKE THE HUNDRED BUCKS AND GET ANOTHER MOJO, OR MAYBE A NEW CALL, SO THE BIRDS WILL COME IN CLOSER.

GOOD STORY.

G

·
yup....ive seen a couple of ducks with two bands on,some twenty years ago,so its nothing new.they were only 10 dollar bands.i just read they started the 100 dollar bands to get hunters to turn them in.since 1903, 58 million ducks have been banded,and 3.5 million turned in.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts