Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I don't think 65 looks too bad, just tight. By my quick count it looks 100% pattern. Try a mod to see what you get. Maybe a better spread and fill in some of the fringe holes. I only shoot #1 to about 45 yd. so for me that is way tight and can easily be opened up some. 68 is just too patchy with about mid 70'ish% range, which is fine if it had a more uniform spread. You could also try a mod with that to see what you get..

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Well I'm assuming these are goose loads. #65 is way too tight. For medium sized geese your consistent kill area is closer to a 20" circle than 30. You'll have much better success if you open it up. I actually like 68 better. It's not very uniform, but even with the holes I'm betting if you broke it down into target sized zones it's got a greater overall effective area than the first pattern. Just barely.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
With RSI loads in my guns the bigger the pellets the tighter they shoot as long as I don't over choke. I shot 64 and 65 with #4 and #3 and plan to try #1 this year. In other loads a #1 load that shoots in the 70's % will go mid 80% with BB so I would open that 65 load up and you could find the #1's pattern great at 40 yd. and the B or BB to 50. That pattern has such high pellet count with the #1's I can't wait to try it. I may switch from my RSI 75 with the #1's if I can get that pellet count and open it up a little. I just loved the 1500 fps+ #1 loads this year.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
Mike is shooting 12 lb geese. The first pattern will be good to 55 yds with that size of geese. The second pattern could be a little more uniform. Pretty good with a skinny bored Italian barrel. Mike, was the shotcups slit all the way to the bottom on these patterns? Ned S

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
:huh: I have had a little problem getting tight patterns like that from my M2 with Mod and some of the RSI loads I have tried. They are very uniform, but I can't get big %'s. I was thinking the IM really did the trick for you, but looks like I may need to get some un-slit shot cups to try out. Post up some with full slit shot cups and maybe Mod with that 65 load. I am real interested to see what it does.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Got my glasses on now. :biggrin: I see you have 88% listed and a 97 in the bottom corner on that 65 pattern. I though I counted about 99 pellets so the 97 is probably it. I calculated 105 pellets in 450 gr. of #1 based on the RSI handbook. That would be 92%. Am I off on your pellet count or did you count the pellets in the load and find it ran a higher number than 105?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went back and measerd 3 450g loads of #1s and got 108 twice so i am going to call it 108. So 97/108 =89% . Iwill try to do some more work with this load. How did you like that load #65 with #4s? I think i want to try some #4s for woodies.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
64 and 65 with #4 are smoking duck loads. I use them on mallard to 40 yd. the last two years. No problems. I have found only one pellet in the meat and if I put it on them they are dead. I load RSI 75 in #3 also and only use it on windy days or late season if I expect most of the shots to be in the 35-45 yd. range. When the birds are working it is all #4 with RSI 64 or 65. Both are solid loads on big ducks. 65 is not the best crimp with #4, but it works fine. It is not that much different than 103. I also like 65 and 64 with #3 in testing, but didn't load them to hunt this year. I may run it next year.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Now you know there's no way to accurately predict that first loads effectiveness at 55 yards with one 40 yard pattern Ned. Stop being silly.

You shot them at 40 yards, okay. So do you plan on shooting the geese at 40 yards? Patterns should be shot at the range you intend/suspect your target to be. Regardless of what Ned says the effective range of that load is, most people don't shoot geese much past that range so if that's the range you plan on taking them, it's too tight. It will limit your chances for success. If you plan on shooting them at 55 I'd suggest sticking with that choke, trying that load in something larger than 1's, and shooting a few patterns at that range to see what you have.

I shoot some #65 with 4's in my 11-48 and uplander r-n-tms. It can be an excellent duck load.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
ohsay said:
Now you know there's no way to accurately predict that first loads effectiveness at 55 yards with one 40 yard pattern Ned..
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I can be silly if I chose. :yes: :yes: :yes: All the loads he has been shooting including the Llightning Steel Loads as well as the RSI loads he got from me. After I saw the pattern, I told him he needed to pattern them at 50 yds to make sure they stayed together. Another thing the RSI shotcups were only slit 2/3 the way down causing the shot to stay in the bottom and turn 180 degrees going down range as a slug. You have to slit RSI shotcups all the way to the cup or the bigger shot will stick just like they did. Mike was told this and has done this on the next loads he will pattern. I suspect the first load will be more open. However he likes tight patterns.
Your preaching to the choir. I have learned a few things in the results of over 2300 steel patterns. First if I get a bad pattern on the first shot, I stop right there. If I get a good pattern, I have to get two more before I accept the load. I used to do ten, then five and it got to expensive so I am down to three. This is good enough for "government''
work" . Futhermore he is shooting a skinny barrel (.723) which is a major handicap in shooting 1600 fps + steel loads but he has been snockering the geese with the Lightning steel loads over 1600 fps. This guy knows what he is doing. Go get 'em Mike. Ned S who has to add lead loads to his already 300 patterns for the summer. I just did 15 loads with 1 3/ 8 oz of hard lead 2's using Blue dot in the Fed plastic hull with paper basewad 'cause I have a lot of them. I'm presently looking up a similiar load using 4756 because I have 8lbs of this propellant. I always pattern my loads at the max distance I plan on shooting them. 90% of my waterfowl are killed over decoys because I can call. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have to get some more pattern paper so it will proubly be next week befor i get to shoot some more. I am going to slit the cups on the wads all the way down and try them and and see how they do. I know that pattern on #65 is tight but i do like to shoot tight patterns and i am a pretty good shot. Load #18 in the lighting steel manul patterns tightier with #1s than rsi#65. I shot 10 geese this year with that load. I shot 12 times to kill those 10 geese and they were any were from 20 yards to 55 yards. So hitting the birds with the pattern on rsi65 should not be a proublem.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts