Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now this is going to sound stupid, but, do cranes run very fast?

In North Dakota this year I heard some and seen a few go into one spot. I kept hearing them so I decided to put a sneak on. I snuck over and was at a pond with corn all around. I had some cattails between me and the crains. They sounded like they were no farther than 30 yards. I snuck through the cattails and didn't see anything. I basically followed the sound of them about a half-3/4 mile. It sounded like i was getting close(sometimes it sounded like I was within 30-40 yards) but, never saw anything. I was going through standing corn that had several openings in it. Just never saw anything. Does this make any sense?? :huh:

·
Registered
354 Posts
sandhills are VERY loud birds which is why they probably sounded so close, but yes they do move fast but would more than likely just fly away rather then run for a mile. I hope they open up a season on them, I could my limit everyday easily where I live.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
the wind was probably blowing toward you and it made it sound like they were closer then further out, plus, a quick gust could make them sound like you were right on top of them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I 2nd what huntinful said. Their call carry's a long way. They'll be flying a mile high in the air, and you'll still hear them clearly.

If you want to try to make the call yourself, purr somewhat slowly into your canada goose call.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should have also said, that there was a rolling hillside right beside me. The sound was coming from the bottom and i could see up the hill a little. That is one of the reasons it did not make any sense.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
They can move pretty good with legs like they have, it doesnt take much to move them a pretty good distance. When it comes to the waterfowl world nothing can beat a wounded goose.....they can move.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.