Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sandhill Cranes do not decoy, we discovered you have to pass shoot them at a reasonable range. We just started hunting them last year, we get into our pit blinds, with no decoys at all! Hunker down, and whack at the ones that fly over. The are very leary, but incredible to eat! When the meat is cleaned they look just like a big rib eye steaks. Not very many people hunt them in North Texas. There may be other ways hunt them and I would like to hear about it... We found that you do not let your gun dog hunt them! They can kill a dog with thier nasty claws, if crippeled, be careful before go graben those suckers... As for thier sound, ,,,they sound wierd dude; like a friggen Alien Monster!
Maybe because they are the oldest species of migratory game bird the US.But cook up one of "Those Ribeye's in the sky " and you might try to kill a few..

·
Registered
883 Posts
Cuz......I'd shoot 'em if I knew what the **** they looked like! :yes:
I've got to look on line and some books to figure these guys out. I've heard of hunting them, but never have. Lots of lakes in the four state area around me, I'm sure I've seen them. I've seen lots of cranes, just couldn't tell ya what types they were.
:salude:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Ok, I've seen those. And you CAN eat those? Do they swim, or just do the crane thing and stay in the shallows looking for food?

·
Registered
883 Posts
I noticed that Cabela's has two different crane dekes for sale. I think they are more of a confidence deke though. ?????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.