Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14,645 Posts
I don't know about the city boy comment because I have seen more hen killing, poaching and other illegal activity by the so called locals than anyone from the city. I live in the country and have yet to see a BMW pull up to my place with a spot light looking to kill a deer at night and out of season. Most of the people who come down from the city are very careful about everything.

Hen killers are not geographically located in cities, they are just careless or greedy hunters.

If you shoot a hen in our group (of both city and country residents), you just signed up for a day of ridicule and harassment. It rarely happens, and in most cases it is because the fool missed the intended duck and caught the innocent bystander that was flying directly behind. I have been that fool before. :oops:

·
Registered
14,645 Posts
ND DuckSlayer:

The mortality rate of hens is much, much higher than drakes because the hen has all the responsibility for sitting on the nest and rearing the ducklings. That is the reason there are more drakes than hens. The hens pay with their lives to get the brood hatched.

With ducks, just like pheasants, one male bird will mate with as many females as possible. But only the females can bring a clutch of eggs to life. As you have no doubt seen in ND with pheasants, the roosters can be decimated, but as long as there are good numbers of hens and a few lucky roosters, the hatch numbers will be good.

For every hen than makes it to the breeding grounds, you will see multiples of that number flying south later that year. The reality of the situation is the drake population is not as important because one drake can play the part of many. Kind of like Wilt Chamberlain during his prime.

Start this year fresh with a No Hen policy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.