Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out and looked at the SBE II today and loved the way it felt in my hands, I dont know if I want to get the SBE II or the 391, I shoot mostly ducks but on occasion I will cap a dove or two... I want a gun that will eject light loads and still be one I can hunt ducks with for years to come. I have a Traditions Auto now, its OK but I have sent it back to the shop twice in 4 years. I also like the M2 Field in camo. I dont shoot alot of 3.5 rounds and if I do I can always use my Nova... Which gun should I get. I wish I could afford them all...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I own the SBE II and I love it. It is a hunter's gun from the word "go." With regard to the light load issue, I have never tried to shoot anything lighter than 3dram 1oz loads. Actually I hunt dove with the same load that I shoot skeet and trap with. 2 3/4, 3 dram (1200 fps), 1 1/8, 7.5 shot. No worries there. Winchester calls this the "Heavy Target Load"

·
Registered
1 Posts
If your not looking to shoot 3.5's I would not recommend the Xtrema, it's gas system is specifically designed to shoot 3.5's. I'm not totally sure what the SBE II's inertia's system is calibrated to shoot most efficiently. If you would not be shooting 3.5's out of the auto's that you are looking at I would recommend a Beretta 391 Urika or 390 or a Benelli of the M1 or M2 series. I would be willing to bet that the gas systems in the Beretta's would be slightly more efficient with a wider variety of loads. Hope I was of some help.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
My Xtrema shoots everything with no problem. The gun itself is designed as a 3.5 inch gun and not a modified 3in gun like some people make. The gas system is designed to take everything. Plus it isn't a true gas system. It is a combo inertia/gas. They borrowed the rotating bolt from another Beretta owned company Benelli. You can shoot whatever you want in whatever conditions you want. I like to shoot those puny dove loads from walmart at quail and crows. Then use 3.5 in for snows. I have dropped it in the water, and picked it up to shoot ducks an hour later. They are both good guns and you can't go wrong with either.

I would recommend a 3 in gun. Check out the new Stoeger semiauto at www.stoegerindustries.com
Uses the same recoil system as Benelli, since it is a division of Benelli.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts