Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
How about a display board on showing the difference between divers & dabblers... everything from body type, breeding habitat & so-forth. They're 2 totally different types of ducks. I'd give ya an A+!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies and keep 'em coming! The title of your project must ask a question. So for example, Quackcephus idea would work. What are the differences in diving ducks and puddle ducks? Before I look dumb, dabbling is the same as puddle right?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
How about a topic of how lead has been replaced by steel and other non-toxic shot? And the impact of how hunters are doing good for the environment. Maybe the topic line could be "Are hunters bad for the environment?" Then prove them wrong with some research and facts. (If they are some PETA, tree hugging, hippie, liberal wacko that is.) I am sure you could do some work and show how hunters and fishermen are the original conservationists. And why we want and need to preserve our sport. Just an idea.

·
1,456 Posts
How about a comparison of organizations like Ducks Unlimited and PETA.
DU preserves 11 million acres of wetland habitat that benefits wildlife of every stripe,conducts research,involves youth in greenwing programs that teach youngsters how to improve wildlife habitat and they go to bat for wetland legislation on a state and federal level.
PETA on the other hand produces stupid billboards,commercials and celebrity nonsense messages that do nothing except get attention for themselves

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Consider broad based appeal that other students and faculty would enjoy learning about for a competition where you are going up against others. I suggest the what is the difference between puddlers and divers. Food choices, body differences to obtain the food, flight differences, where they nest (upland VS on water) , etc.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Dogman said:
How about a comparison of organizations like Ducks Unlimited and PETA.
DU preserves 11 million acres of wetland habitat that benefits wildlife of every stripe,conducts research,involves youth in greenwing programs that teach youngsters how to improve wildlife habitat and they go to bat for wetland legislation on a state and federal level.
PETA on the other hand produces stupid billboards,commercials and celebrity nonsense messages that do nothing except get attention for themselves
Yeah, the Question could be
"Does PETA Do any kind of Conservation for the Future or Just Spew Crap?"

I don't have the Links anylonger, but Last year PETA Offered a $2,500.00 Reward for Information leading to the Arrest and Conviction of the Person or Persons involved in the Shooting of a Sow Bear with Cubs here in PA.

The Local Sportsmens Club paid out $500.00, PETA NEVER Paid a Penny!

Maybe, if you can find the information, you could come up with a Hypotheses on why they did not pay what they said they would pay!

Location was Duncannon Pa, Sportsmens Club was Duncannon Sportsmens Club. Local Paper was The Patriot News.

The Person who did the Shooting :eek: Was suppose to have been of all things an Anti Hunter and Member of PETA! She wanted to Scare the Sow and Cubs because they were eating the Feed she put out for the Birds in her bird feeders!

That might get you a Start if you want to compare ANTI Groups like PETA, HSUS, FFA and Such, to Hunting Organizations!

·
Registered
622 Posts
These are all good ideas but, I would go with the divers/dabblers deal. The PETA/DU question is good, but it isn't really a science topic as much as it is an economic or political topic. Stick with something that will get teachers/students attentions. You can get all kinds of cool pictures and diagrams of ducks with their different adaptions for different feed types. There was a great article in either the december or january issue of the DU magazine about divers. It would be very helpful, because it gave certain adaptions that divers have to help them feed and move under water. It also gave comparisons of dabblers to divers. Good luck! :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.