Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll be starting my first season of duck hunting this coming fall, and I am really looking ofrward to it! I've spent a decent amount of time shooting clays and trying to get some cheap gear to start off the season....but thats not truly my intention for writing....

I am going to be hunting around the eastern Cass County, and parts of Crow Wing, maybe others if I can find 'em.... Any of you hunted these areas? any suggestions as to where to go and what to expect? I'll probably do most of my duck hunting this year on a small pond on private property, and even Rice Lake outside of Remer. What tips can you give for scouting these areas? --new to this, so anything helps, even the stuff i've heard already :thumbsup:
Ryan

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Buy the topo county maps which shows alot of details. SO you can find those out of the way places on public land. Spring is a very good time to scout, even now with the snow you can easliy get back into the woods to investigate those ponds. Also with the lack of foliage you have alot better visibility. April is a good time to scout when the soft water returns and so do the ducks, often you can see if hunters hunted the ponds by spent shotshells on the ground, walking paths, etc....

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
you can spend alot of time scouting which used to produce. Last year i spent most of my time scouting and little hunting trying to find ducks. THe problem is that there are no ducks in minnesota anymore so scouting has been a waste of time the last few years. Not trying to damper your spirits but just letting you know what to expect unless things change.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Trois_beaux_canards:

I hunt just a little north of you in Itasca Co and N. Cass Co. and you are seriouly limiting yourself hunting mostly on your own private hole(unless it is one helluva hole). The first thing that you need to do is get yer self a map and fill up yer truck and go burn some gas. Doesn't matter what time of year, look for clues that reveal duck sign(feathers, food, actual ducks themselves) and also areas that are not "prime" duck lookin spots but are in close proximety to good spots can also be worth a look when hunting pressure is high.

As for Big Rice: Go to one of the landings in the evening before your hunt and watch what the birds are doing and set up the next morning accordingly.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Probably the most important aspect of duck hunting is the scouting. You have to know where the ducks are at and when they are there. Like
duckboy_390 said- you need to fill up the tank with gas and drive around. This is after you find maps either buy them- or go to www.dnr.state.mn.us and search of the area. then print them off and go search those ponds/rivers.

If nothing is there the first day- you still need to go back, maybe at an earlier time or a later time. you need to find out when the ducks are there and how long and how they work the pond- to better your chances at bagging a few.

Scouting is a great experience- and fun. Me and a buddy scouted all day the friday before early goose two seasons ago and found a lake in northern MN that was full of geese and ducks. No one else was hunting on that lake and noone is now- my buddy still hunts there.

So you have to look in places where they are not many hunters- because the ducks will get scared away pretty fast from some lakes/ponds/rivers and head to safer zones- so you just got to find those spots.

Like they said look for the ducks- look for where they are in the lake- what time it is, is there shells anywhere, where and how many? and is there enough cover for a blind and what type.

Lots of little things that would make the hunt go easier.

MNduckhunter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.