Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you look for when scouting this time of year? Seems that most of the divers are migratory and won't be around during scouting season...

I am somewhat new to this and have usually hunted where I have seen ducks before or where I thought that ducks might be, but have done virtually no specific scouting to speak of.

What tips can you give a rookie to successfully scout for next season?

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Well, I wouldn't wager to much one where the ducks are now. That can change from day to day, week to week, and so on. Yes...it's still a good idea, of getting out to see where the birds might frequent in the fall. Sometimes where they are in the spring....or late winter...may not be where they'll be in the fall and early winter.
If anything...scouting this time of year...will give you ideas, a way to familarize yourself with the area.....and a good way to meet land owners.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Something over looked by guys scouting this time of year or anytime is to really take the time and watch the birds. I mean spend some time watching the birds, watch where they feed and how deep the water is and what they're feeding on. Watch how they work in the wind that's blowing that day. Look at the pattern if any they're in on the water or field. Watch when the birds that are coming into those already on the water or field, just where they land in relation to those already their. Don't be a fended, but most guys just walk or drive up, see some birds and say "OK that's where we're hunting tomorrow." I'm a firm believer that by spending the time watching the birds, they will teach you all you need to know on where and how to hunt them. Good luck scouting OOH - RAH :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.