Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you look for when scouting this time of year?

I am somewhat new to this and have usually hunted where I have seen ducks before or where I thought that ducks might be, but have done virtually no specific scouting to speak of.

What tips can you give a rookie to successfully scout for next season?

·
Registered
225 Posts
FEB is when i have seen most my birds in the past. If you look now and the birds are in a certain place they will be there next year as long as nothing significant changes between now and then . birds should use the same spot as long the food source is still there water depth hasent changed . If the general area has stayed the same they will come back.

·
Registered
208 Posts
First off, you made a good step in finding them....you asked how to scout unlike most people who ask "hey where are the ducks? where can i hunt?" This shows an interest and that ur serious. As the others said look for where the ducks are now they wont move as long as there general environment stays they same, no loss of water or food or anything of the such, also look for places now that look like the might be promising so you have a base to start off of when scouting in the future, by doing this you will save a lot of time by being able to go somewhere that you feel may be holding ducks and you can go straight to that spot and check up on it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice fellas...looks like I should just be looking for ducks right now. How bout a little later in the spring and summer when it is warmer?

I hunted a few areas this past season that I thought looked promising but saw none or very few.

·
Registered
208 Posts
look all year man, when it gets warm i bow fish a lot and get into the back waters and all year i see mallards and woodies, its not a lot but i always see a few and the way i look at it is if there using it in the middle of summer chances are theyw ill be there come dec jan time frame

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.