Duck Hunting Forum banner

sculling oar ideas needed

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Phytoplankton 
#1 ·
hello everyone. first time here and very excited about using my new (used) two man sculler. after some research, it appears that an oar is not just an oar. there are many options based on water types, sculling styles, etc. so i have come to a standstill in regards to the correct oar. to further add to the mystery, the boat that i purchased does not have a hole in the transom for sculling but instead was used with a small motor as a layout boat. i would like to turn it into a sculling boat, but, i'm not quite sure of the specifics for drilling a hole in the correct spot in the transom. it's a 16' two man boat (homemade i was told) that has a super low profile and narrow overall (but very safe as it was used in waters such as the great bay in portsmouth nh. i'll try to get some pics up for viewing as well.

also, if there is anyone who would like to take a new-to-the-sport person under there wing for some how-to's, that would be very much appreciated. it seems like this sport is a great mentoring sport based on the heritage and technique. i held out for a two man boat because i have three boys and two of them love to waterfowl hunt with me. i believe that this boat and other sculling enthusiasts, will add a very unique and memorable time with them.

thanks in advance for your time and help.

happy and safe new year to all :beer:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.