Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THE GOOD!!!! As we eased into the river we could already see an abundance of waterfowl. The small sand bars that form up behind the wing dikes were already full of loafing Canadians freshly returned from feeding in the surrounding corn fields. Not far downstream we found what we were looking for . The dropping river level had exposed several long sand bars completely surrounded by water the type that geese love to spend the day loafing on. These bars were completely covered with geese. We had hardly gotten the decoys out and the boats positioned when a flight of snows came over the tree tops and headed straight into our set of Canadian dekes. Everyone got a piece of the action as we splashed 5 out of a group of about 15. It was steady action with few lulls till we had filled our limit of Canadians and called it a great hunt. One of our best this season. THE BAD !!! The only thing bad, was the fact that duck season was closed. Mallards were everywhere, They constantly buzzed the Can deeks and made our heart beat faster as they hung above the decoys teasing us . They kept coming back to the river from the feed fields in huge numbers, Numerous large rafts of birds floated leisurely by just riding with the current. Our last hunt of the season on the river was everything we could have hoped for and more . THE UGLY !!!!!! We were in high spirits as we returned to the boat ramp from one of our best hunts of the season. This was soon to change. Two Missouri game wardens greeted us at the ramp. They were full of chit chat, seemed very friendly, and genuinely interested in our success that morning. It was just a pretentious front as we found out . You see the access ramp we have to use to get into the Missouri river, is in Missouri and the Missouri season is closed. That warm fuzzy feeling they were putting off was quickly replaced with accusations and threats. Upon questioning us regarding where we hunted we stated we were on the Kansas side of the river and our season doesn`t close till the 17th. It got ugly quick. They attempted to trick us by telling us they had observed us hunting at a spot at least a mile and a half further downstream than we had gone. We told them that we knew they were trying to get us to admit to something we hadn`t done by lying to us about seeing us. They then told us if we didn`t admit we hunted in Missouri they were going to call for a boat and go down the river and look for " footprints, goose-feathers, and shotgun shells" you know CSI Missouri river. When we asked why would you need to do that if you saw us as you had claimed. At that point frustrated that we would not say we were hunting in Missouri the older of the two agents clearly lost self control. He started ranting, cussing, and threatening . It was a little unsettling ,this guy was way out of control and packing a 9mm Glock. He almost screamed at us that if we didn`t cooperate ( code word for confess) they were going to treat us as non-resident offenders, handcuff us, take us to jail where we would have to make bond, impound our vehicles and boats, and sick the federal authorities on us. Not wanting to see our vehicles towed or spend the afternoon in jail we asked what our options were. We would have to sign and accept an $85 ticket. I`m sure you can guess what option we chose. The final injustice came as another group came up the river , loaded there boat and proceeded to leave. The wardens acted as if they didn`t even see them . The difference was obvious to us though . They had Missouri tags on their vehicle while ours said Kansas on them . It was a great hunt and worth every bit of $85 and I will never quit hunting the river in spite of this incident. Good luck & stay safe !!!!!!

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I would contact someone and get my ticket straightened out. I would not pay it, as you were not in the wrong at all. Also report the officers. I have never had a foul run in with wardens, and i think there department would probably like to know that this happened.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Sounds like a miscarriage of justice to me. Your just lucky you didn't bust any of those greenheads. :tongue: :tongue:

I hunted a public area in KS yesterday and shot 2 large honkers. I had the mallards doing the same thing all afternoon. It was neat and tempting. I can't wait until next year.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i would report the game warden to his superior. if you go to court over this deal make sure to say that the confession was an unlawful confession and was forced by threats.

i went to a feild out by conway friday morning and we shot some canadians, but the most impressive thing was the amount of bull pintails i saw. for some reason pintails were all over this pond i estimate about 400 and that number maybe on the low end. they were primarly all big bulls and a few hens. this hunt was one of my most memorable hunts ever.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Get out your Google map and GPS coordinates...I would take this all into court. I had to fight a ticket here in CA. Game warden wrote my girlfriend and I a misdemeanor ticket for not having a $5 upland game bird stamp while dove hunting. It was my first time dove hunting after a 10 year's of not hunting dove- I had not known the regulations- instead of writing us a ticket for a simple fine this jackass wrote us tickets like we were genuine law-breakers! We went to court and had to plead not guilty to protect our record- I had not even gotten a speeding ticket much less an arrest record. So the burden was on the local DA- they needed to have a jury trial! We got a family friend who happend to be a retired DA to call him and he dropped the charges! So I prevented myself from getting a criminal record...It was worth it- even if I had to hire an attorney. In your case it is just an infraction- like a speeding ticket! But I would fight it! If you were poaching then they should have taken your boats, trucks, guns, and geese! Not just simply given you a fine- see they know you were not poaching! Fight this!

This is what give wardens a bad wrap! Some are just plain jackasses! Other's are pretty good guys!

·
Registered
89 Posts
i'm with etfremduckhunter, fight it, report the wardens to superiors, whatever, do somthen or the warden may just keep strong arming others that way. if i didn't do anything wrong i wouldn't have given in for even a fine.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don`t want to give anybody the wrong idea I personally feel the state of Missouri has one of the best conservation depts. around. They provide an abundance of high quality waterfowl hunting opportunities for the hunter. I have personally dealt with the conservation officers at the Four Rivers area many times this season . They have always been friendly ,helpful and have always acted in a professional manner. What happened to us on that day is certainly not an indictment of the Missouri conservation dept. or their officers. We ran into a rogue officer who who got past the psych test somehow. Have you ever heard of a cop or in this case a game warden giving you a choice of which ticket your going to get ???? I wonder if the Judge has? My buddy DJ who hunted in my boat that day called the Missouri Conservation dept. in Jeff city. After being passed around a few times he was finally told that this was a local matter and was refered back to the local supervisor. By the time he was able to get hold of the local supervisor the guy had obviously been briefed regarding our complaint and had a patented response. He justified the officers rantings and threats on the fact that DJ had supposedly smarted off to him. After the tickets were issued DJ did ask if he could take the two wardens picture with the confiscated geese. This is what they are using to rationalize their actions. It is obvious that we are up against exclusive fraternity who are rallying to protect their own. I am starting to believe they won`t show any more restraint in lying to the judge than they did to us.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts