Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy told me to put wd-40 the heads to make them shiny, He said that
helps make the sun put a glare on the dekes! I had never heard this before I figured he might be pullin one on the rookie here! :withstupid:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
a swipe of Armorall!!!!!!!!! (only on the drakes!)

Have you ever seen a live bird on the water......their heads always shine in the sunlight!

When painting my decoys I always use an irredecsent mix with the greens, blues, black and purples called interference green.

·
Registered
598 Posts
You don't want a lot of shine, just a little. Too much and it won't look natural at all. I just take a rag at the beginning of each season and rub just a little armorall over the dekes. It gives them a good clean look and will get them noticed on sunny days, just enough that it doesn't glare real bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sheen...Yes. Shine...No. You don't want anything that is gonna reflect light, like a greasy headed decoy. A duck will have a natural sheen to it, but they do not shine like glossy decoy might. If it were not the case we would be all buying decoys painted with glossy paint rather than flat paint. I wouldn't recommend putting WD-40, Armor All, or anything on your dekes to make 'em shine.

PS: FLocked heads duplicate the natural sheen of feathers. Hence the popularity. Don't know if it makes a differance or not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.