Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
I shoot steel through the factory full approved for steel. Although I have shot steel through a lead full and it was fine, however I wouldnt reccommend it. I think you will be fine with improved modified.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Chokes compress and deform lead shot. Steel does not compress very easily. Anything other than a full factory choke should be fine.The worst thing that can happen is your choke tube can give up a little constriction. Clean the threads and keep it greased and you will be fine with that tube. just as a general rule, The designation for most chokes will be for lead. To get you close to performance expectations you use one size larger when you shoot steel. Example: a choke that is modified for lead will shoot a full pattern with steel. It is also generally agreed that unless its a specialty full choke for steel, you do not shoot steel from a full choke that is designed for lead. A specialty choke ie. Patternmaster, has the constriction of tight modified or a loose full choke.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Winchester Signature Invector-Plus chokes are rated for steel. I wouldn't shoot F's through it or anything, but yeah, knock yourself out with the steel shot. No worries.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Trulock does not recommend shooting any steel shot larger than l BB through their improved modified chokes. (Precision Hunter extended) They say use modified for the big stuff.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Precision Hunters throw tighter patterns than the winchester signature chokes. I use precision hunter mods for 90%+ patterns on 60+ yard shooting. I can't imagine why anyone would need an IM of theirs.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Ned S said:
'Cause they generally give the tightest patterns with a .025 constriction except for the Terrror chokes. Ned S
lol Right Ned. I was asking why somone would need tighter than 90% patterns at 60 yds. That's what I can get with my precision hunter mods. I was going to get the IM until the guy at trulock talked me out of it. I'm really glad he did.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently lost all but my full/lead choke for an H&R Excell Auto. Ordered an extended IM Precision Hunter choke from Trulock Choke Tubes.. Before I came across this thread - dang it!

I'm not going to blow the threads outta my barrel am I? Planning to shoot blind side hex steel, black cloud, winchester hypersonic etcetera. What should I expect for pattern with the IM? Should I return and get the M instead?

Thanks for your input

·
2,783 Posts
IMO, your tube (IM) is likely fine however, the ammo (BC, BS & Hypersonic) you referenced should be revisited and consideration given to better alternatives such as Remington Nitro Magnum, Federal Premium (through Rogers Sporting Goods) and Kent Fasteel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts