Duck Hunting Forum banner

Short Reed Goose Call

6K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  thaner 
#1 ·
Having a tough time getting this short reed goose call down. I can't get the low goosy note in the beginning of a hail call down. Anyone have an idea or technique, already have a cd to listen to for instruction. It's not helping though and I'm ready to toss this $80 plus dollar call out. Thanks Spike

#2 ·
you can try and use a little growl to get the buzz sound that will allow you to make the call break. try this and see if it works also get a zink video which helps sooo much i have his call and it comes with the video. and if you have the money buy his calls there the best so easy to blow.

#5 ·
I use a grunt to start the note, like I used to do with a single reed duck call. You can even have different pitched grunts. Zink has a 'how to' video and at one point he blows through the back of the call. He sounds just like one of those 'beat box' rappers...

#10 ·
You need lots of diaphragm, just like a sinlgle reed duck call. Pretend like you are blowing bad breath in some one's face. Huugghhh

You also need to control air flow with your tongue to get good sharp clucks and honks. To cluck I say "whit" with a growl (diapragm) at the "wh" part. This puts your tongue on the roof of your mouth and stops the air flow. You can change tones of your clucks by using more or less air and growl. This will help you sound like more than one goose.

Make sure to create backpressure by tightly holding the end of the call and cupping the end with your free hand. You can change tone by doing this. Good calls dont require much back pressure, but it still is useful.

To do the "comeback" call say Too-ahh into the call. The read should break on the "too" and "ahh" should be a moaning sound.

I used the hunter's specialties audio tape to learn, but I'm sure any of the mentioned videos would help a lot.

#17 ·
tone can be altered a couple ways.

The way you hold the call will change it. You can get a lower tone by cupping your off hand fully over your call hand.

The inflection in your voice will alter the tone. Use your deepest bass growl for those low sounds.

By forcing more or less air through the call you can raise or lower pitch whenever you want.

Practice, Practice. I know everybody says it, but if you keep at it, it will all come together. Experiment with your hands and voice to figure out all the sounds you can make. Then try to mold them all together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.