Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you are going from a flute to a short reed be prepared to parctice a lot, it is a totally different principal behind using each. The main thing would be not to "blow" into the short reed like you do in the flute, but instead "grunt" from the bottom of your stomach like you are fogging up a piece of glass. I hope this helps someone....keep up the practicing... :smile:

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
I just started using a short reed. I like using my eastern shoreman flute for long distance and as they are getting closer. But wanted to use the short reed as they are circling before the commit. The flute just seems way too loud for up close. The short reed seems to need heavy grunting air to blow well and the flute does not sound good at all with a heavy grunt. Its hard to do the change back and forth. I guess I need to pracice the changing air velocities some more.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
This guy is just starting calling, so a shortreed will probably be easy for him to pick up. Guys who are used to a floot have a tougher time on the shortreeds because they blow into them and it breaks the reed and sounds like a kazoo......

·
Registered
97 Posts
Short reeds are much harder to learn, but well worth it in the end.

·
Registered
328 Posts
id say learn the shortreed.....might be a lil harder but it will be alot harder going from flute to shortreed than starting with a shortreed then if you want to get a deeper sound then go to the flute.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i would say start with the short reed. If you learn on the flute it is alot harder to pick up the short reed. Try the Honker Talk video by Shawn Stahl, it is well worth the $ for learning the short reed call and practice as much as possible.

·
Registered
175 Posts
As a call maker I would say go with the short. BUTT have someone around that knows how a short reed works. Tuning and techniques. I think going from a Flute to a short reed is difficult because the techniques for a flute are different and you end up reverting to flute type calling. IMO it works but you are not getting the full advantage of the short reed. Dont get me wrong,, I will still pull out the Flute every now and then.

C DUbb

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would go with a short reed. If you are looking for a quality instructional tape Fred Zink's "The Ancient Art of Paralyzing" is the one. It is cheap and well worth it. Like anything in life, you must work at it in order to be effective.

·
Registered
56 Posts
archeryrob said:
I just started using a short reed. I like using my eastern shoreman flute for long distance and as they are getting closer. But wanted to use the short reed as they are circling before the commit. The flute just seems way too loud for up close. The short reed seems to need heavy grunting air to blow well and the flute does not sound good at all with a heavy grunt. Its hard to do the change back and forth. I guess I need to pracice the changing air velocities some more.
I wouldn't do that if I were you. If you can pull it off, then great, but you are probably going to end up with alot of sour notes. That would be like swinging a baseball bat, then a golf club. The two are very similar, yet take different techniques. My guess is the first time you get a big 'ol group of honkers coming in, you'll pick up the short reed and blow into it instead of grunt. Either that or you'll put a big heavy grunt into your flute...yuk! :eek:

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
:withstupid:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.