Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well kind of....

Shot a few pictures of this guy while set up down at the Waterfowl Festival.

He wasn't banded on the leg, but simply had the yellow plastic discs on both wings. They were very light-weight in material and looked like they simply went over the wingbone so there would be a disk on each side for easy ID. There were no markings of any kind on either side? Anyone ever seen anything like it?

Brad

·
Registered
308 Posts
yea i think its stabilisers for the government ...or maybe a UFO abduction?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Somebody must be doing a study that requires them to refind marked birds. I've seen wing and tail flags on turkey vultures one time. The flags are attached to the base of the feathers and are dropped when the bird goes through its annual molt.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OneShot said:
Somebody must be doing a study that requires them to refind marked birds. I've seen wing and tail flags on turkey vultures one time. The flags are attached to the base of the feathers and are dropped when the bird goes through its annual molt.
Thats kind of what I was guessing, maybe something watching movement on breeding grounds or such since there were no numbers for ID. A fella on TOS confirmed it as well and said he would pass it along to someone that might know a little bit more about this particular study and relay any info back. Being a fisheries and wildlife graduate it does have my interest peaked.

Brad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.