Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was curious if anyone uses the "high velocity" loads and what they think?

I have been trialing the Remington high speed loads in 2, 4, and BB over this season and have not noticed a "huge" impact in my hit to kill ratio. The only benefit I have seen is in the fact that they "appear" to not force me to lead birds quite so much at extended (30-40 yrd) ranges.

·
1,459 Posts
I like the Winchester Xpert Hi-velocity in # 2 shot.Has worked very well for me this year.I like the 1550 fps speed on this shell,gives the shot a nice degree of authenticity when it makes contact with the bird.I have some in BB shot also that I might try on geese if I ever see any this year.But again I think the high speed shells increase its effectiveness

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I use 2 3/4" loads about 80% of the shots I take....no need for 3 1/2" at all imo....and occaisionally shoot 3".....I really like the XPRESS loads from Winchester and 2 shot is my conmfidence load whether on the ocean for eider or in the marsh for puddlers. On geese I go up to 1's and sometimes 3" BB. Fortunately most all shots I take are close range (under 35 yards) so the killing power of the steel is effective.

I picked up a couple boxes of 3's in 3" to try this year....load is 1550 fps and will probably be very effective on mallards, blacks and buffies.

I also picked up some Hevi this year to try....so far am impressed....using 6's on ducks and 4's on canadas......but it is too expensive to use all season when I know I can get killing shots with steel.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Group,

I have used Hevi in the past and was impressed with the performance but at $3.00 every time I pulled the trigger it started to weigh heavily on my pockets.

Has anyone found a place that sells Hevi at a more "reasonable" cost ($10-15.00 for ten shots of 12g 3" number 6)? Does anyone have any "inside information" on any after season Hevi sales that may take place? I was thinking LL Bean or maybe Walmart??

DuckMann

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I've never seen Hevi at WallyWorld....I got mine through Mack's.....I got five 2 3/4" boxes at $15, and then got $15 back from Remington....so I got a box 'free'.....sinc ethe Hevi throws such a dense pattern, the 1 1 /8 oz loads in 2 3/4" will clearly cover you....and the impact power (foot pounds of energy) is actually greater than lead. just my opinion based on reading multiple test results over the past year!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.