Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just wondering if the majority of hunters use steel shot. All i can afford is steel, so thats what i shoot. I'd like to use Hevi Shot, but there's no way i could afford to shoot it. That stuff is nearly double the price of steel here.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Hevi-Shot is the best shot available, bar none. I can't afford it, but have a couple of buddies that do reload it, and have shot it on a goose hunt or two.

What I have seen with shooting Hevi-Shot is the need to be real careful. I have seen Redheads come buzzing by in a group of 20-25, a buddy cut a close bird (20-25yards), and that bird fall, along with another behind it at more like 60+yards. So it has killing energy well past anything else I have ever seen. Never even knew the second birds was down until we saw a wing waving in the distance. Would have been real bad if we were just needing one redhead to limit. And could have just as easily killed 3-4, if they would have been line up just right.

It is awesome stuff and will do a # on geese. But I can't afford it, so I shoot STEEL. cooter

·
Registered
122 Posts
I shot Hevi-Shot last year and liked it. But after patterning my gun last month, I think I will use Bismuth instead. I haven't tried the Federal High Density yet so I'm waiting for it to come in, pattern it and see if it's as good. The Federal is a little cheaper, so I'm hoping it's close. As far as the cost goes, I guess I don't kill enough birds for it to really make that big of a dent in my pocketbook. The more expensive ammo makes me think twice about taking my shot, but I think that's a good thing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Over Decoys:
Geese 3 inch BB at 1730 fps and 3rd shell is a 3 inch Hevishot #2

Ducks 1st shell 3 inch #4 at 1730 fps
2nd and 3rd shell 3 inch #2 at 1730 fps

Past shooting geese I use Hevishot B
Past shooting ducks I use Hevishot #4

·
Registered
534 Posts
well Iam the cheepest guy around I only buy the cheepest steel in town I've never had any jams though right now Im shooting some federal(hate their .22 amo though) last year I shot reminton mostly I like to think my shooting speaks for its self ( that dosen't work that often though :yes: )

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I have only ever shot steel as the othere non tox stuff is way too expensive for less than half the no. of shells.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I reload and use steel probably 90% of the time; however, I prefer bismuth shot in the smaller (16 & 20) gauges, and prefer Tungsten Iron for hunting Canada geese.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've only ever shot steel, until I tried some hevi-steel this season. It patterns nicely and it doesn't break the bank. It's fast too. I cant legitimize paying $22+tax for a 10 rd. box of hevi-shot. NO WAY!

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
:oops: I have to shoot steel. Three years ago I went crazy and loaded a bunch of it. I want to try "Hevi" but I still have 18 boxs of steel left. I would just hate to use # 2 steel at the trap club, just to get rid of it !!

·
Registered
591 Posts
I usually shoot steel x-perts if the shots should be under 45 yards. I might use 3" or 3 1/2". If I'm shooting longer shots (usually at geese) I might use one or two shells of hevi-shot.

If you are shooting under 40 yards, you are IMHO wasting your money on hevi-shot. And, believe me, I highly believe in hevi-shot.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I only use steel. I don't see the need for the "Hevi" stuff. Call 'em in and knock "em down. I don't/try not to shoot past 50yd. With the right size/speed combo, steel will do all it's needed to.I truly think that the hevi rounds just encourage people to shoot beyond their ability :umm:

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
:withstupid:

spend money on more decoys save the dollars by shooting steel. And I agree ammo marketed as long range only encourages folks who cannot out smart a winged fowl into dumping into phoney plastic imitations.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.