Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
I used to use BB's on ducks and geese but after switching to 2 & 4's I have been able to kill more ducks and geese. I use a modified choke. The lighter stuff can be just as deadly as the heavy loads if you hit em right.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think i'm going to change to shoting 2 & 4's this next year to. I was just going with what i had always been told about steel being to light. I hunt mostly on the DUCK RIVER were shots are @ 30 yards or less. THANKS :smile:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The part of the Duck river that I hunt is in Normandy which is the town I live out side of. all we have is a gas station, post office,& the railroad crossing. The dam that is on the Duck river outside of Normandy is what makes Normandy lake. I hunt the lower part of the duck river. I know part of the river goes through Manchester. It ends in the Tennessee River in the NWR.

·
Registered
50 Posts
duckdoctor said:
i like to use 2 and 4 shot with a full choke,knocks em dead every time :thumbsup:
Full choke on ducks? Are you shooting them at long distances?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I used to shoot BBs at ducks and T at geese but since I went to hevi shot. #2 has been smacking em HARD. On my Beretta choke it says full/steel-mod/lead so I would say I have a inbetween mod and full choke. I nocked down a mallard today at 50 yards (my third shot) and took a goose at 30 on my first shot. No follow ups needed. If the operater (ME)can get the BBs to the birds the #2 will do the trick.

·
Registered
52 Posts
3" or 3 1/2" Number 2's 1 1/4 Kills both ducks and geese. Best all around I think for Waterfowl. If you have questions of what to shoot, pattern several different sizes and makers. You'll be suprised to see how different they shoot.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I agree with duckdoctor on the full choke. I use a full with steel also. I really like the winchester xpert #2's which is actually 2's and 3's with a few 4's.

CALLEMQUACKTN, I don't live too far from you and I'm also a river hunter and I've hunted the same stretch of river you're talking about, I think. I've hunted some just above cortner mill. To me those xperts are perfect and would probably work great with a more open choke, but I'm partial to the full. I also used to be a big shot shooter. But since I don't get into geese much anymore I use 2 or 3 shot for ducks. I've tried 4's some but they just don't seem to have enough "lead in their britches".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.