Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
R.Wakeman has repeatedly stated on his website that he will not carry a shotgun whose trigger-pull exceeds the weight of the shotgun. Recently he said if said trigger had a pull of more than 6 pounds he would not carry it afield. Seems a bit harsh if you ask me.
Now I understand when you are squeezing a rifle or a handgun trigger... creep, grittiness, break and reset being important factors. When I'm shooting a shotgun, leading a bird and it all feels right... I just MASH that trigger. How important is weight of trigger pull in your shotgun purchase considerations? For me, not really at all.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I agree with him. Too heavy a trigger can pull you off target, especially when the weight of pull is heavier than the gun. I had on old Ithica pump with a horrible heavy trigger pull. Could not keep it swinging and pull trigger. Missed a lot of quail before I figured it out. All my shot guns have lighter than 5# triggers. I can live with some creep or grit as I tend to just pull shot gun triggers. Rifle is a whole different story. CRisp, light, NO creep, very little over travel. On them I am a trigger "snob".

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I agree with Randy. My Versamax came out of the box with a very stiff trigger and it was horrible. Luckily after about ten shots it was down to acceptable trigger pull.

Stiff triggers are the worst.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Competition triggers are usually set at 3 1/2 lbs as with shooting a lot of clays with a heavy trigger does cause Flinching ! Hunting shot guns because of Liberal Lawyers have
triggers in excess of 5 lbs I believe !

·
Registered
20,720 Posts
Re: Wakeman, he says a lot of things.

Re: shotgun trigger pull, I don't recall ever noticing it at all on any of mine, And as long as it's not something noticeable, it's a non-issue.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: Wakeman, he says a lot of things.

Re: shotgun trigger pull, I don't recall ever noticing it at all on any of mine, And as long as it's not something noticeable, it's a non-issue.
I agree and disagree. I agree, whether shooting game with a rifle or shotgun I couldn’t tell you what the trigger feels like. That does not mean a heavy trigger can’t have a negative impact on accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps Rick and I have just been blessed with shotguns sporting decent triggers. I just don't recall any that I owned with a trigger I considered noticeably stiff and offensive to shoot. 'Course I'm not a competitive skeet or trap shooter... and never was.

·
Registered
20,720 Posts
I agree and disagree. I agree, whether shooting game with a rifle or shotgun I couldn’t tell you what the trigger feels like. That does not mean a heavy trigger can’t have a negative impact on accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Worlds of difference between rifle and shotgun shooting, and my money says a stiff rifle trigger can screw up a shot a whole lot worse. But as Tim has suggested I've never been cursed with a noticeably stiff shotgun trigger. Can only wish that were the case with rifles.

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
I know several Gunsmiths who's business is adjusting triggers in firearms some come to (Most ALL) the Western States shoots . I would say most competitive shooters have had
their triggers worked on . Some as light as 2 lbs while others are satisfied with 3 1/2 lbs ! There again hunting shotguns have cheaply made trigger assemblies .

·
Registered
11,087 Posts
The only problem I have with a heavy trigger on my hunting shotguns is when I switch back and forth between hunting and target shooting guns. It's much easier on me when all my shotguns have the same weight of pull. I like 3 lbs, give or take a couple of ounces.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I agree with those who say it's a non-issue for the most part. I have never felt the need to actually measure the weight of pull, but they all seem similar enough to be of no concern. That is, with one exception:
Many years ago I bought my son his first shotgun; a cheap SXS 20 GA double. Neither one of us could shoot it worth a damn because the trigger was so stiff. After a few shots, we were able to adjust to it and shoot ok, but the first few shots were always hopeless, and when hunting, the first few shots are often the only shots of the day. Ultimately, I remedied the problem by buying him a Remington 870 and he has been shooting that ever since.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I, as a clay target shooting fool, like my triggers set to about 3.5 pounds and crisp. I can live with a heavy pull, but I can't stand a long CREEEEEEEEEEEEP in a trigger.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have an SP-10 that had a horrible trigger pull and sent it off for work, it was so bad I couldn’t center a stationary target. When I got it back it was a night and day difference, it was so noticeable that I sent my Mag 10 trigger off to the same guy and had it worked too. To me it makes a huge difference in accuracy when wing shooting especially with tight chokes. My experience….

1 - 13 of 13 Posts