Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
LOL. Gun broker I suppose, check every local store within a couple hundred miles of you and hope you get lucky.

Ballistic products has been getting in some cheddites every month or so, they sell out within hours usually so be quick. Cheddites do not work well with alliant steel powder though, you really want federal 209A

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Totally disagree about Cheddite primers not working with steel powder. They work just fine.
Most of what I shoot uses steel powder on top of either a Win209 or a Ched cx2000. I will use a CCI209M or a Fed209A in some loads, but not all.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Totally disagree about Cheddite primers not working with steel powder. They work just fine.
Most of what I shoot uses steel powder on top of either a Win209 or a Ched cx2000. I will use a CCI209M or a Fed209A in some loads, but not all.
Ive been having noticeably weak loads the last few mornings using STEEL powder in 20ga with cheddites. Thought it was powder migration but I dont see any when shining a light. Only has happened so far when 10-15F out. Hoping to borrow a buddys chronograph monday and do some testing. I have then mixed with feds in my shell bag, and so far the almost-bloopers have all been cheddite primers

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Well, Cheddite has at least 2 different primers. The cx2000 is the one we get to reload with. But a lot of new primed hulls come with the weaker one (I forget it's number, cx1000?). The cx2000 is akin to Win209 on the heat range, and the cooler one is, well, cooler.
The pressure of the load cam also impact the performance of the primer/powder combo. We don't want to be shooting steel powder at 6000 psi for example--if your gun requires that, get another powder. Low psi isn't an absolute good.
I'm not saying the cx2000 is the BEST primer for steel powder, just that I wouldn't avoid it. In the early days, they called for the Fed209A to help with ignition, but with a probably built load and "normal" conditions, that hasn't been a problem for most of us. Don't try lighting huge amounts of steel under super light shot charges with a Cheddite.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
I am loading with yellow box cx2000, I do have some new primed ched hulls with the blue tipped cx1000 (i think) that I use with longshot. I suppose just for the heck of it I could pop a couple of those out and put them in my steel loads to see if there is a difference there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts