Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in another forum about a guy shooting a shoveler, spoonie,strainer lip's whatever you want to call them, can't remember where he was from, but he was going to take it to the taxidermist :eek: I live in NW Iowa and they are here in plentiful number's and usally pass them up, as we consider them a s%*t duck, like coot. Sorry if I offended anyone just seeing if they are cosidered a good duck in other part's of the country? :yes:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Around here, if ya shoot a *******, he tastes like smells....like a catfish pond. We let em fly, but, accidents do happen. Y'all have a nice day!
:salude:

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Hmmmmm ......

They do taste good if they have been eating the right food. Heck I have shot Mallards that were feeding in flax---oily as all heck, ish. So it is not so much the duck specie as much as where they have been eating.
I remember my GPa shot a Can back in the 20s-he said it did not taste good and refused to shoot any more of them. But my Dad shot them and he just shook his head. Well in the 40s My Dad had his Mom cook a bunch of Cans up and did not tell his Dad, when asked how the tasted, he said real good--my Dad then told him they were Cans. My GPa then shot cans after that. All this means, keep an open mind. And Oh--it does make a difference on all waterfowl on how you prepare them.

I occassionally shoot them, but I generally concentrate on Mallards because it is a bigger duck. I pass on GWTeal as there is no meat on them. But then again I love to shoot BWteal as they is nice and fat in the early season Mmmmmmm

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a drake and a hen spoon mounted in my living room. I think they are a beautiful bird when in full color. I shot them in Texas. Haven't seen many in Kentucky.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.