Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered me a Singleton LA cutdown venom acrylic and reed/cork kit. Hope I’ve made a good choice. Anybody have any advice or comment on my call choice and any help on learning to run it? I’m 50+ years into duck hunting and goose guiding so I can use a regular call pretty well and know what a duck sounds like. I had to dive into the cutdown ”ocean” of calls somewhere. Hours of research just became more and more bewildering. I’m willing to put my time in between now and next season to learn to use the cutdown. Did I do ok in choosing the Singleton LA, I hope?

· Registered
12 Posts
I will come down to how the call fits with your calling style and anatomy. I have blown a cut down keyhole most my life. I cannot speak to a Singleton or RNT or any other modern option. I have a lot of hours behind an Olt. Once you get it, it the easiest call out there to run. Think hot, quick bursts of air. When you feed call or chatter, you hammer it with air to get that loud, gruff chatter. There is no hold with a cut down. What you put in is what you get out. I have heard low ptiched, medium pitched and high pitched cut downs that all did well in the woods but none of them had hold or ring and all were smooth.

KM explains it as good as I have ever heard it. The only thing I would be careful about is his quack cadence. I like his quack and that’s what I hear Hen Mallards doing in the Arkansas Timber in the air and on the water. But———If you are not careful, that cadence will turn into the mallard alarm call. He knows what he is doing. I space my quacks out two to three seconds apart.

Like KM says, you have to make it your own. My Dad and the men that mentored me had very simple routines. 5-7 notes to get their attention. 3-4 notes when they were working in and that “ waaaaank “ quack and gruff, smooth chatter as they get close. No bouncing hen, no 14-note highball, simple, smooth, gruff chatter versus 8 different types of feed calls.

5-7 loud notes, 3-4 medium to soft notes, smooth, gruff chatter, waaaank quacks that’s it. I hear a lot of hands blowing a cut down style call like a J Frame. They do not get it. I never heard anyone do a comeback call on a modified Olt. They taught us that was a Duck’s last act of desparation. What these old timers did do is HAMMER the Ducks with LOUD calling to get their attention and then back off to see what the Ducks would do. Slow to medium in speed on the cadences. Slow and LOUD on the first cadence then dragging out the first note of the second 5-7 note attention getting cadence just a little faster. If they started to stray once they were working in, you would give them a slow, soft, whiney 3-4 note cadence. If you looked up and they are sailng across the tops of the trees, hit em with loud chatter with that waaank quack mixed in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts