Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hunted skagit today, Wiley Slough area, shirt sleeve weather and ducks flying but not much interested in my spread, anyway. As some of you know this is a puiblic access area and occasionally we'll get hikers, and others of the non duck hunting variety. This is usually not a problem but today I got this clown who came walking down the dike road with possibly the ugliest dog (definately not of the duck hunting variety) I have ever seen. He then proceeds to stop on the road above me and make a couple of phone calls (ducks are in the area) Then he asks me why my dog can't be out running around this flooded field having fun. I explained that my dog was just fine and was doing exactly what he was supposed to do, sitting still and looking for ducks. This, amazingly. started him on this tirade about hunters killing defenseless creatures and taking pride in bossing their dogs around, dogs should be able to have fun you know. Maybe it was the gun, maybe it was my size (significantly larger), maybe it was turning Kobie loose to run the piece of mange he called a dog into the blackberry bushes, either way clown boy finally fiqured out this might not be the best spot to be conducting a discussion on the merits of hunting and dog training. After he left it just kept bugging me that a place that can and should provide, with our license fees, a good hunting experience can't keep guys like this load out.
Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. Am I the only one that has had this experience.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I was so ticked off that I pulled the dekes and went home. Ruined my whole day but it was kind of neat seeing the guy extricate his dog from the blackberry brambles, Ha. :laughing:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd he told him to enjoy the walk while he can...they are gonna open those dikes and make it salmon habitat. If he supported hunters he might have a place to walk his mutt. :help:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Sounds like an interesting encounter with a person that you would not choose to spend time with. I had a run in similar to yours and the game warden talked about citing the other guy for "disturbing someone in the lawful pursuit of taking game" PRICELESS!!

john

·
Registered
25 Posts
Why didn't you tell him to take his tree hugging hippie assdown to greenlake with his doggie? That would have been a better place for him to be with his mutt. Heck Why didn't you invite him into the blind? Would have made a funny picture to have posted here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tell me about it, Wiley Slough and Farm Island is my duck hunting home base man, I got a cabin along the river and every day after hunting i walk the loop down there.... Those damn tree huggers walkin around with their little dogs that look like shotgun pull throughs and little balls of hair always talk crap.... Me and a few friends get crap all the time from random bird watchers down there because they dont think its nice to kill things but hell its even better when after they are done whining they drive by the cabin and see close to 2-3 limits hangin by the door...

Anyways you know if this does ever happen again and they get really bitchy, John Garret (the person who manages all that area (ex-warden)) is sometimes around and im sure he'd get them birdie watchin tree huggers to move on with life...

Ps. Hope to see you out there next season?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Those " tree huggers " are also "wet lands huggers " how about you? Do you belong to a conservation organization that protects waterfowl habitat or do you just take and not give back? Did you complain when the state required duck stamps? Do you belong to D.U.? They may not hunt but tree hugger types are a ducks best friend because they are for the protection of habitat. So they don't hunt. So that leaves more for you. I'm not talking about PETA they have a different agenda. They are against ownership of prissy little dos and hunting dogs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We know all that but what fun is it to not point fingers and complain about blue wind breaker pants and a yellow rain coat wearing tree huggers that bogart your good hunting.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pitts
I am a member of DU, a committee member, and probably donate well over a hundred hours a year and while I won't tell you the amount of money I donate yearly lets just say it is substantial. Frankly I am not against enviromentalists, every true outdoorsman is concerned about the enviroment, but you know and I know alot of these guys that love harassing hunters and complain about the lack of Public land to wander around on don't contribute one thin dime to the programs that actually help the enviroment and the ones that do contribute, to what I affectionately refer to as the "wacko lunatic causes", read Sierra Club and Thousand friends of Washington, certainly are not working for the benefit of hunters. I have this thing about manners, I will respect your right to enjoy the outdoors (in your own way) you respect mine. If you choose to disrupt my enjoyment you will get my attention in a very negative way. I'm sure your a sincere guy how many of these (hunting or otherwise) orginizations do you belong to?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Four. Washington Environmental Council, League of Conservation Voters, Nature Conservancy (will be remembered in my will ), and Ducks Unlimited. Conservation can also make strange bedfellows too. Any friend of wetlands is a friend of mine!

·
Registered
360 Posts
What a clown... Have ran into people like this all the time down at Spencer Island. Wish i could show um the end of my barrel. If i had the money i would move to the south so i wouldnt have to deal with all the crazy, hippy, tree huggin, democratic freeks around here in Washington... :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sorry fellas I can't relate. I don't run into tree huggin' jackasses in EWA in the winter. I think it's too cold for them. In the summer I see them. Usually littering.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.