Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a skanoe or know where i could find one. i was thinking a skanoe with one of those weed-eater motors would be pretty nice. any suggestions fellas? thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have seen a duck set up on one, the guy put outriggers on it and a blind talk about sweet, just paddled out where we couldnt go and shot his limit and came back before we shot ours.

He used emt and a disk blade on some type of holding system on the boat and dropped them down to bottom and was a stable shooting platform. Also he had 4 on the boat aprox 5-6 feet out.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
280 Posts
i have the pelican bayou 160 and it is an amazing boat. i bought a 5 hp briggs and straton motor and with a 700 lb load it moved me at about 9 mph. i used it all the time when i was stationed in alaska. but now that i'm here that 5hp isnt very good. so my recomendations would be buy the scanoe and put a 9.9 on the back of it. and you will be set for a long time. i bought my scanoe at sports authority.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks. can the bayou 160 handle a 9.9?
is it fairly stable too?

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how long is it, can you put it in the back of a truck/top of a roof? thanks.

·
Registered
280 Posts
mine is 15'5'' and i put it on the top of my explorer sport trac and drove it 3000 miles through canada from alaska to north dakota and it did just fine. 9.9 would handle good. but that's probably the biggest i would go with that boat. how i put it on my explorer was i made a rear support that fit in the back of my bed and was as high as my cab and two guys can easily put it on and off. cabelas has a canoe hauler for suv's and thats how i got my idea for it. but this summer i'm going to make a custom trailer for it. hope this helps

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how are you gonna go about making your trailer?

·
Registered
280 Posts
im gonna pretty much just go buy some 2" square steel and build it to my boat. basically it's gonna be a retangle with supports angled to the contour of the boat. it's gonna be a task i think. but i can handle it

·
Registered
769 Posts
I've hunted out of my coleman scanoe since i first bought it in highschool. I'm gonna redo the blind with a newly designed system to make the canoe more stable for standing and shooting. Will post pics when I'm done, just gotta wait for this freaking snow to melt!!

I used to run a little trolling motor in the back of mine, but just got a 3.5 hp merc on order.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts