Duck Hunting Forum banner

Sloughs!

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  HENDU3270 
Hunted an area sort of like that a few years ago. Only cover was salt grass that was about 1 foot tall. It was kind of a pain in the butt, but once the ducks started flying I was flat on my back and using every bit of cover that was available. Ended up limiting out. If someone was in that situation that didn't love duck hunting they would have given up and left. That hunt was out at Peach Point WMA (you take what you can out there). I did have a spot that I had scouted a few weeks before the opening weekend about five years ago where I went out and dug a hole about 1.5 feet wide and 6 feet long, (1.5 feet deep) in the saltgrass, being careful not to destroy too much of the grass surrounding the hole (the hole is primarily for your feet to go into). Then I went down the bank 100 yards or so and filled one of my decoy bags full of saltgrass that I cut with a machete. I went home and built 4 plywood panels with 2x4 stakes attached that would allow me to hammer the panels into the ground. I then fastened bungy cords (painted to match the grass) to the plywood and stuffed handfuls of saltgrass underneath the bungy cords. The plywood panel facing the spread was cut in half in a horizontal direction and hinged outward and down when birds came in. This setup worked great!!! When we walked to the far side of the spread to retrieve a downed bird it was extremely diffcult to see the blind blind. If you have the time this is a very good blind to use for the season then take back home and replace the grass the next year. Good luck whatever you do :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.