Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard so much about the fast stuff. I was wondering if anybody still shoots the slow loads around 1300 fps. I shot the 3" 1300 fps loads this year and have no complaints.

DEAD is DEAD!

·
Registered
136 Posts
The slow ones are getting harder to find in the stores. I've had good luck with them in the past, and they are easier to get to patter correctly. However fast steel will get you extra range, and definitely more punch on birds in the pocket.

My old fav goose load was 1 3/8oz of BB steel going 1300-ish. I did have to wring alot of necks though.

I've been getting pass throughs on 20-30 yard geese using #2 steel at 1550fps! That's definitely better performance than the slow BB steel.

Brian

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
str8shooter said:
I have heard so much about the fast stuff. I was wondering if anybody still shoots the slow loads around 1300 fps. I shot the 3" 1300 fps loads this year and have no complaints.

DEAD is DEAD!
I still use them. There are a number of places that I hunt that are small potholes with high walls of tules/brush. In places like that where ducks are never more than 30 yards away- what's the point of using fast steel? If they are coming in they are coming in so slowly that it's a "meat counter" shot. 2.75 3 shot - estates.

Have the same load in fast steel as well - but use it elsewhere.

I've been doing a lot of clean up at the house and I'm surprised by how many old boxes of shells I have! :oops:

·
Registered
114 Posts
MICHI-GANDER said:
The slow ones are getting harder to find in the stores. I've had good luck with them in the past, and they are easier to get to patter correctly. However fast steel will get you extra range, and definitely more punch on birds in the pocket.

My old fav goose load was 1 3/8oz of BB steel going 1300-ish. I did have to wring alot of necks though.

I've been getting pass throughs on 20-30 yard geese using #2 steel at 1550fps! That's definitely better performance than the slow BB steel.

Brian
exactly, I shoot 1520fps 3.5 inch #1 on geese and duck and get pass throughs as well as

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.