Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm going to Give it up!!!!

Wednesday night at Work, I started having a Burning Pain in my Lungs at work. Worked pretty much all night long with it and Kept on Puffing Away!

I have had this Head Cold/Flu/Whatever it is now for the past 1.5 weeks, and thought it was due to that!

With the Burning getting worse, I left work and headed to the ER.
They hooked me up to Everything coming and going, Did Every test you can think of and Decided, I was having a Heart Attack :eek: Trust me, WORDS You wish not to hear!

They gave me Nitro Spray and it took the Burning out of my Lungs and made me Breathe Better! Gave me one HE77 of a Headache, but I could Breathe easier!

Spent the day, laying in the ER, having Blood pulled and was not getting any answers from the ER Doctors, except for, "you had a Small Heart attack and need to lay here!"

The Cardiac Doctor came and talked to me, had me do a Stress test, More Blood Work, MRI's, CAT Scans of my Heart, and found, that what the ER Doctors had found on my First EKG wasn't a Heart attack, but a "Finger Print" That I have in my heart and isn't any Damage at all from a Heart attack>>>>WOOOOOOOO, Was that a RELEIF!!!

He told me, STOP SMOKING NOW!!!! Unless YOU DO WANT TO HAVE A HEART ATTACK) Well, the Last Smoke I had was at 5:30 Yesturday, before going into the ER! Put that Smoke out before going thru the ER Doors!
Have not had 1 since and when I do want one, I just set and think about the Stuff they pumped into me yesturday and stuff they did to me yesturday. Wish Not to Go thru that again!!

Hopefully, this is it on me smoking! Been wanting to Stop for many years now (Been Smoking for 18 years)

I'm not going to go the Route of Telling guys that they need to Stop, that is up to them to decide if they wish to stop or not! I hated it when someone who had smoked Lecturered me on Quiteing Smoking!

Hopefully this "Scare" Will have done it for me! I Personally do not want to lay in the Er again, being told I've had a Heart Attack!

If anyone is considering Stopping Smoking, might want to think about it....................Not fun, being told, you have or may have had a Heart Attack (I'm only 36 by the way)! And that is the ONLY Lecture I'll say on Smoking!

:salude: to Stopping Smoking! Hopefuly, it is going to work this time! :thumbsup:

·
1,456 Posts
Congrats on the no smoking,hope it sticks. :thumbsup:
Heart attacks can happen to any age,my Dad died of one when he was 39!
My wifes brother died of one when he was 37 :eek: .
Take care of the body you got,you only get one and when it quits on you its permanent!!!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
:salude: Good Luck I stopped last Oct. and have a crave everynow and then. Sunflower seeds is what did it for me just putting them in the mouth helped alot. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well said Woody. I currently have a funny fealing spot on my cheek where I put the other stuff. :thumbsdown:

Cant really call in birds if our lungs or faces are gone.

C dubb

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I've been on that bandwagon for aprroximately 11 months. THough I fell off for a few days, here it goes again. I have to remind myself every day why i don't/shouldn't. The best of luck goes out to you, unfortunately these are the experiences some must have before they quit. Ihave to admit I never had one (other than the fact I had trouble breathing on long flights of stairs) my grandfather smoked from the age of 13 until he was about 88-89, then it was just an occasional one. he made it to 93, the man musta' been made of steel. Somehow I didn't think I'd have the same luck.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Good luck guys. I've read studies that say the minute that you stop smoking that your lungs begin to repair themselves and grow new lung tissue. The longer you go without a smoke the better and the more fresh lung tissue you get. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
first and foremost, glad to hear you're ok.

i am a smoker too. i don't smoke a lot compared to some (a pack with last me about 2 days or so). i didn't start until i was well into my 20's. i stay pretty active playing basketball, softball, working out, etc. and i can really tell a difference in my health the last couple of years. my wife has been after me to quit for some time. the funny thing is that i keep kidding myself that i can do it whenever i want. and i have for a couple of weeks at a time several times over the last 2 or 3 years. i always found a way to talk myself into lighting up again. (isn't it funny how that happens?) anyway, i am ready to quit for good now. i am just not enjoying them as much as i used to. so here i go, i am gonna join woody and others and try to kick the habit.

good luck to you woody and anyone else who is kicking it and good luck to myself. i am gonna need it.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I quit smoking for 3 1/2 years...went thru a bad divorce and started again. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!!!! I want to quit so bad, but I don't. I don't know why. We make cigs our good friends and don't want to let go of them. Even though I still smoke...I still would not smoke over bait. :mrgreen: Good to hear your are ok Woody...makes me think, we are the same age.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks For All the Good Wishes :salude: :thumbsup:

2 days!

I had Cravings yesturday for a smoke, but not like before when I tried to Stop!
I bought about 20 packs of Gum yesturday and Peppermint Sticks! Was chewing gum by 4 pieces at a time.

The Wife told the Cardiac Doctor she would Stop also, so I would not have her smoking in the house and making it hard on me!
She is still smoking, but told me, she WILL Stop! She is atleast, going outside and smoking so I do not see her or smell it! Hopefully, my Scare and what she went thru all day aswell Thursday willl make her stop!

5:30 am gives me 48 hours, 2 days, so I guess this is day 3 to work on.......I was told before, takes 21 days to make a Habit, takes 21 days to Break a Habit......19 to go!
shrpshtr, Hows it going?? Lets keep each other off them dam things!!!!!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Woody...I just remembered something. (as I sit here and smoke like a moron) Nicotine fits only last about 10 to 15 minutes. I can't smoke at work...so when I have one, I just tell myself it will go away. And it does. It helps...I should take my own advice... I used shelled sunflower to help kick it the first time I quit. That helped the habit of (this sounds bad)
"oral stimulation." Don't make fun of that...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Woodywoodduck said:
Snafu518 said:
"oral stimulation." Don't make fun of that...
:laughing: :laughing:

OK, I'll Not make Fun of it! :thumbsup: :laughing:

:toofunny:
Snafu,

I Can't Resist!! :laughing:

What does your wife think of that?

:laughing:

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Woody...she smokes also. And we both like the "oral stimulation" of smoking... and other things like that. What I meant is if you eat sunflower seeds it replaces the habit of putting a smoke in your mouth. I know you are kidding around and all that. Thats cool...I can take it...I was just trying to help. I guess the only thing that makes me mad...is that I can't think of a smart azz remark right now. Give me time. :getdown:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.