Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are you supposed to set up your snow goose decoys. I have about 650 decoys and was wondering how yall set em up. Do you set family groups? How big? Pocket? anything yall want to tell me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I assume you have all Texas Rags from your previous post. Set them about 6 to 8 feet apart. Make sure your not setting a bunch of straight lines as you walk. You can make kind of a hole in the spread for them to land. I don't really worry about the shape of the spread, b/c the geese seem to come to the speakers or figure out where they are going to land, and every goose seems to want to go to the same place. You can just adjust your llayout blind if you need to. If you can't do that make sort of a horseshoe with the open end downwind. They'll come up the chute.

If they are flaring the spread w/ the rags, you may have to move downwind 60 yards or so. If they aren't flaring and are just sliding off, move. Don't hesitate for too many groups, go ahead and move to get under them so you can shoot.

Make sure you are hunting on a cloudy day b/c those rags really shine, particulary at sunup and sunset.
Think movie projector screen, here. Hopefully the sun won't be shooting down the mouth of the sock and lighting it up like a nightlight. If so, just wait until the sun gets and higher and you should still get a few geese to work.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Just make some sort of pocket in the middle.
Here's a picture of some of my hunting buddies in So. Dak last year during the spring migration.
They just have some cardboard cut-outs. (Only 2000 of them)

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I run mine haphazard. I dislike an even looking spread. Little and big pockets should be mixed in through out the spread IMO to duplicate what real geese look like in a field feeding.

·
Registered
201 Posts
What i would do is make one pocket as they first come in and then leave a small pocket in the middle. If you watch alot of snow geese they like to get up and fly from the back to the front of the groups feeding and alot of times there is a small pocket in the middle too and if you watch a group come into birds in the field alot of times they hit the middle pocket because that shows where the food is but they also land in the first pocket too....So just make two and let them go...Another thing you wanna have the decoys working with the rows of wheat or corn because snows just like to walk the row and eat. instead of going across rows...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts