Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you besides me and GSPHUNTER hunt with something besides a lab?

I have a Drahthaar and a GSP

Reasoning is that I went to college in south florida(about 30min from miami---It was rough) I wanted a dog I could hunt in the heat--Then I moved to the MTS in PA and then I needed a dog that could stand the extreme low temps--

·
Registered
204 Posts
WEIMARANER!!!

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:21 pm Post subject: something besides a lab

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How many of you besides me and GSPHUNTER hunt with something besides a lab?

Is there any thing else? Oh yeh My brother has these champion Goldens that he shows but their not rugged enough to hunt like a Lab. One of his dogs is in the Canadian Kennel Clubs Hall of Fame I think its name was Wile's Golden Caddilac or something like that . Any way he shows his dogs in conformation and obediance classes.

Keep takin those shooting lessons, I think they're working cause your starting to get some tail feathers.

Keep the sport alive take a kid hunting / fishing.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Gsp, I guess if you mean that these other dogs are versatile and labs are not then somebody forgot to tell the labs this as they are and have been used for many different types of hunting as well as other jobs. Check it out and you might be impressed when you then compare labs with your other versatile hunting/retrieveing type dogs. :cool:

Keep the sport alive, take a kid hunting / fishing.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
P.S. I know what you were asking and yes some of the guys I know have springers, N.S. Duck Tollers, Wire hairs etc... and they like them for varying reasons. Some even just wanted something different from their hunting buddies. Just like when I **** hunted I had Blue Tics & Red Bones as opposed to Red Tics, Walkers, Black & Tans etc... Every one has their own tastes thats what makes the world interesting. Don't you think?

Keep takin those shooting lessons, I think they're working cause your starting to get some tail feathers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
mfetter said:
TGL and Bigcountry--

Do either of you train or test through NAVHDA or any of the other versatile programs?
One of the field's the NAVHDA judges dogs on is pointing, and I don't train my dog to point, so I haven't looked into the organization any farther. Don't get me wrong there aren't a lot of things better than a dog on point. The reason I personally don't is because I only pheasant hunt a few time a year.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Easy Greg not trying to start an argument over labs. God knows an argument like that would never hold up here on this site. My response was to your question Is there anything else? and I was just offering some other breeds besides labs. I guess you meant that sarcastically. Sorry can't tell through the computer if you were serious or not.

·
Registered
204 Posts
:salude:
Labs are awesome dogs. Everyone has their own preference and each breed brings something unique to the table as well as individual dogs. I don't think I would hunt with anything other than my weim and I'm sure others feel the same about their dogs. That being said, the best duck hunting dogs I have personally seen have all been labs. Maybe that is because Labs are about as common in Kansas as pick-ups trucks :toofunny:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sorry mfetter forgot to respond to you....I don't train or test Belle through any organization. She works her ass off for me but she is my first hunting dog and is young.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.