Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
should've been south of the Saco on Saturday....if you had enough bxlls to get around the corner.....there were probably 500 or more eider along Hills Beach and the islands just off the shore.......There was also a bunch across from Cape Elizabeth that day....but I had to abort my plans due to the launch at Bug Light being 'swamped'....I was alone and Casco Bay was whippin' on that North wind....that's what happens, the birds are plentiful on the days you can only glass your spot!!!!!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I had a great experience a couple years ago, was literally surrounded by about 300 eider....and they were making a gutteral cooing .....and it was loud....quite an experience

I guess you can try calling with a bbrrrrrr type of sound and I have mouth called at long-tails.....but decoys are the key to draw them (along with a flag and staying still)

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
duckmann.....Absolutely, flag, flag and keep on flaggin'!!!!! Scoter are even more responsive....unlike flagging for geese, I have flagged at scoter up until the shot......although remember, this is when hunting from a boat, not from a ledge or rockpile. I use a basic cottonduck canvas square on a dowel....have waved my hat too....just some sort of motion that is not human. I think it is 18" x 18"??

I am not much of a spinner fan, but I guess one of thoes floaters would work......can't hurt to try....if it doesn't cut it, bring it into the boat!

Thanks for the offer....I have several sled sets to go along with my full bodies. Easy to make the long-tails.....just do the same as with the scoters or eider.

I think we will need to PM soon duckmann!!!!!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.