Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently using only mallard dekes and have been thinking about adding another breed or two. Any suggestions on what to add and why??

·
Registered
598 Posts
Well it depends on what species of ducks are in your area. Let's say you also see a bunch of pintails, then I'd throw some pintails in my spread. Whatever kinds of ducks you are seeing, it wouldn't hurt to have some in your spread to make it look more natural. I would group all of the same kinds together. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
well, seeing as how you didn't specify which types of ducks you see in your neck of the woods, it is kind of hard to guess what you may want to have in your spread.

for my area i use 2 dozen mallards mixed with a dozen widgeon. i usually set the widgeon slightly apart from the mallards., usually about 3 or 4 additional yards past my farthest mallard deke and in their own tight little group.

i am planning on adding 6-12 GW Teal to the spread as well.

the variety seems to help, though all the species we shoot here decoy readily into mallard dekes.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Swamp Puppy said:
well, seeing as how you didn't specify which types of ducks you see in your neck of the woods, it is kind of hard to guess what you may want to have in your spread.
Thought it was common knowledge that there are no woodducks on the Alberta prairie...just like there are no eiders in Ark.
That post cheered up a pretty much drab day,thanks Labman

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The cans and pins are deffinately going to make an appearence in my spread next year. Thanks for all the replies!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I add the species that visit my area. Pick the species that you think will show up the most and go with them. Don't be affraid to mix it up either. My spread looks like a welcome wagon for all species that come here in mass numbers and some that don't.

P.S. Eiders and other sea ducks do visit from time to time. I have personally shot at Old Squaws twice before. I have seen a couple of Eiders as well throw the glasses. Some kid shot a pair of Scoters this year here as well. Arkansas just ain't flooded timber and rice fields. :umm: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
ive have always found along with my mallards that a couple of pintails and a couple of wegion or scaup work great but if u really want to bring them in included 4 or 5 canada goose decoys to ur spread especially over water in the feild use 3 doz canadas and a doz pintails a doz wegions and 3 doz mallrds ull do well but most of all keep tryin mix things up and see what works best 4 u

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.