Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again we just can't enjoy a story and/or a movie without some left wing hollywood elitist saying something freaking stupid. I am so tired of these morons making America out to be the bad guys. The leftists wonder why they lose elections. It is because they can't see that they are out of the mainstream way of thinking of most Americans. Read on...

CANNES, France -
Without Michael Moore and "Fahrenheit 9/11" at the Cannes Film Festival this time, it was left to George Lucas and "Star Wars" to pique European ire over the state of world relations and the United States' role in it.

Lucas' themes of democracy on the skids and a ruler preaching war to preserve the peace predate "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith" by almost 30 years. Yet viewers Sunday - and Lucas himself - noted similarities between the final chapter of his sci-fi saga and our own troubled times.

Cannes audiences made blunt comparisons between "Revenge of the Sith" - the story of Anakin Skywalker's fall to the dark side and the rise of an emperor through warmongering - to President Bush's war on terrorism and the invasion of Iraq.

Two lines from the movie especially resonated:

"This is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause," bemoans Padme Amidala (Natalie Portman) as the galactic Senate cheers dictator-in-waiting Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) while he announces a crusade against the Jedi.

"If you're not with me, then you're my enemy," Hayden Christensen's Anakin - soon to become villain Darth Vader - tells former mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor). The line echoes Bush's international ultimatum after the Sept. 11 attacks, "Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."

"That quote is almost a perfect citation of Bush," said Liam Engle, a 23-year-old French-American aspiring filmmaker. "Plus, you've got a politician trying to increase his power to wage a phony war."

Though the plot was written years ago, "the anti-Bush diatribe is clearly there," Engle said.

The film opens Wednesday in parts of Europe and Thursday in the United States and many other countries. At the Cannes premiere Sunday night, actors in white stormtrooper costumes paraded up and down the red carpet as guests strolled in, while an orchestra played the "Star Wars" theme.

Lucas said he patterned his story after historical transformations from freedom to fascism, never figuring when he started his prequel trilogy in the late 1990s that current events might parallel his space fantasy.

"As you go through history, I didn't think it was going to get quite this close. So it's just one of those recurring things," Lucas said at a Cannes news conference. "I hope this doesn't come true in our country.

"Maybe the film will waken people to the situation," Lucas joked.

That comment echoes Moore's rhetoric at Cannes last year, when his anti-Bush documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11" won the festival's top honor.

Unlike Moore, whose Cannes visit came off like an anybody-but-Bush campaign stop, Lucas never mentioned the president by name but was eager to speak his mind on U.S. policy in Iraq, careful again to note that he created the story long before the Bush-led occupation there.

"When I wrote it, Iraq didn't exist," Lucas said, laughing.

"We were just funding Saddam Hussein and giving him weapons of mass destruction. We didn't think of him as an enemy at that time. We were going after Iran and using him as our surrogate, just as we were doing in Vietnam. ... The parallels between what we did in Vietnam and what we're doing in Iraq now are unbelievable."

The prequel trilogy is based on a back-story outline Lucas created in the mid-1970s for the original three "Star Wars" movies, so the themes percolated out of the Vietnam War and the Nixon-Watergate era, he said.

Lucas began researching how democracies can turn into dictatorships with full consent of the electorate.

In ancient Rome, "why did the senate after killing Caesar turn around and give the government to his nephew?" Lucas said. "Why did France after they got rid of the king and that whole system turn around and give it to Napoleon? It's the same thing with Germany and Hitler.

"You sort of see these recurring themes where a democracy turns itself into a dictatorship, and it always seems to happen kind of in the same way, with the same kinds of issues, and threats from the outside, needing more control. A democratic body, a senate, not being able to function properly because everybody's squabbling, there's corruption."

This is all crap!!!!

I have been waiting my whole life to see this movie. Then George Lucus goes and says something so dumb I want to punch him in the mouth. Now I have to boycott this movie. I might still see it, but I will wait a few weeks, buy a ticket to another movie and go to Star Wars instead. Lucus will never see another dime of my money ever. These people are so intellectually stupid, dishonest and corrupt that it is not even funny anymore. I know this has nothing to do with hunting. So I am sorry for using this as a sounding board. But damn...we need to take America back from the liberals. We outnumber them and we need to act that way. Friggin hippies. Hollywood wonders why the numbers are down as far as movies go. Well...stop thinking you know what we think and shut the hell up. :pissed: I shall end my diatribe for now.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel? :yes:

I think the Mods would edit it out though....

BTW, I do not disagree about the liberal knee jerks. If there is no news-they spin it to create news. I generally just laugh out loud at most BS on the news being most everything is spinned away from the real facts.

·
1,456 Posts
Since when has Hollywood and foriegn film makers ever got anything right?
They'll blather anything to sell tickets and make themselves out to be vanguards of civilization.
It would be nice if they all would wake up and realize that they are not as important as they think they are.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Dogman said:
Since when has Hollywood and foriegn film makers ever got anything right?
They'll blather anything to sell tickets and make themselves out to be vanguards of civilization.
It would be nice if they all would wake up and realize that they are not as important as they think they are.
I'm w/ Dogman!

-Stouff

·
Registered
883 Posts
:withstupid: :salude:
I've always asked the same question...Just because you are "famous", have millions of dolllars and make your living, an EASY one at that, making movies, what makes you a political expert? If you look at the backgrounds of most, not all, but most of todays top actors, what type of education do they really have? Just because we see their face on the TV or big screen does not give them the right to use that medium to voice their un-educated, mis-alligned political views to society!
Ok...I'll get off my soap box now.
:pissed:

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Isn't it great how things like this can just be fabricated.

You know what though, this probably wasn't fabricated at all. George Lucas is probably one of Bush's top secret advisors. George Lucas probably wrote the movie while drawing up battle plans with Iraq. Wow. Now I can't wait to see that movie so I know what's going to happen next in the real world. :toofunny:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Snafu: Amen times 10! Now I wonder if I'm going to see the film. & I wanted to see it. The liberal drivel just seems non-stop.
Hey, Merganser - I know why you & others went to VietNam; Huntley & Brinkley, & Kronkite didn't fool my young mind. I doubted them, & did the research. Seems that so many of the liars then are lying now. Thank you for your service.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Listen to this genius...

"As a liberal and a Democrat, it was comforting," says Slant magazine film critic Ed Gonzalez. "Star Wars is created by real people, starring real people, so it's inevitable it will reflect real-life issues," even if it is sci-fi fantasy.

Maybe he should go back and look at the map of Red areas of America VS. the blue areas. "Real" people bust their ass every day. And for some reason the "real" people take their hard earned money and make people that have "fake" playing "make believe" jobs millions. I have got to stop reading about this. :pissed:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
the best thing i can say about people like this is that we can choose whether or not to pay them any attention whatsoever. obviously, i am in the not category!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.