Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay its time.Ive read about it on the net,talked to guys about,especially DUKHTR.Now its time.
This week I am going to Home Depot and pick up a couple sheets of 2" foam,a roll of burlap and tile cement.I'm going to try a bunch of Eiders first since I already got 3 dozen plastic puddlers.Hopefully I'll have something to post up soon. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Funny how I keep everyone talking about getting the 2" thick sheets of foam at Home Depot and Lowe's, but I have never seen it here. :pissed:
These Southern stores don't carry what the Northern stores carry. :thumbsdown:
Oh well, maybe one of these days I will find sheets of this elusive foam.

Good luck in carving. Foam is real easy to carve and shape. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I believe the northern tier is where you will find the 2" stuff......in fact, our local stores have many varied thicknesses, from 1/2" up to 2" ...local lumber yards will order up to 4" or even the 2" in 4x8 sheets....although it is cost effective to go with the 2x8 sheets at HD!!!!! The 4x8 sheets go for over $40 while the 2x8 is about $13. Guess it is because of the special order basis.

----------------

Mike, I have a huge platter to fill this weekend...Sat at the in-laws and Sunday at a meeting in Gardner for the State LL. I would love to help you get started, although i am sure you can handle it! I had SpongeRob over a couple weeks ago and got him started....he went out Sunday and stocked up on the materials and tools.

You have my nuumber if you get to any sticky issues.....for the eiders, I would suggest two 2"and one 1" laminated to five inches. Heads you can get from Tom at Toledo Decoys unpainted for $3 I think....I have a bunch on order now....they are much nicer than any other at that cost. Of course unpainted EAllens are also quite good but are $5 apiece.

Remember, if you need anything....call! Heck, call regardless! Don't take away too much of my business though!!!! Good luck!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Ok Dogman...I'm a sucker for making my own gear and you have my intrest peaked on this one. Looking forward to hearing and seeing how it went or didn't, but I'm sure you'll knock it out no problems. My wife is scared...."oh no, another project, more money, and more stupid decoys in the garage, my lord how many do you need?"
:toofunny:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
just keep at it...they eventually come around....at least a little bit!!!!

Over the past couple weeks I have shaped, burlapped and painted blaks, mallards, redheads and scaup.....have a basement full of them!.....in fact heading out to HD for another bucket of mastic.....will be making some eiders this coming week...I only spend a few minutes during commercials or an hour here-n-there, so it really does not take alot of time....and your efficiency and abilities increase as you get more practice.

Dog.....I bought a compressor (4 gal....1.5hp) and an airbrush system. (Badger). It's not easy to get a good consistency for the paint, but I seem to have it figured out....now to get practiced on the shading and blending....will make doing heads alot easier I hope. Of course, just when I really got the process 'down' with using float as a medium for the brushed paints.

·
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I find an occasion bauble from the local jewelry store is invaluable in dealing with the better half,that and a nice restaurant thrown in.
Smooths over a lot of rough spots. :mrgreen:

Congrats on the compressor and airbrush DUK,handy device to have.One and a half HP should be more than enough for anything you have around the house.
I haven't used my air brush in a ***** age,I hope I remember how.I'll figure it out. I can't wait to get my first foam deke done!

·
Registered
222 Posts
im just wondering how you do this. do you glue the 2" sheets together to make the body width then shape the sqares to look like ducks? im only 16 and dont got much money. im having my grandfather teach me how to carve wood decoys soon so could i just use the same basic concept for this? thanks

·
Registered
883 Posts
Dogman.......how about puting some in progress pics on here? Curious to see how it's going.
:salude:

·
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been taking pics along the way.So far I've got 6 dekes cut and glued up.However with my commute and the weather I'm not able to continue till later this week.I will post up pics of what I got,hopefully by weds or thurs.
I also got some very nice refence pics I took of Eiders along the coast(love that new digital camera! :mrgreen: )I'll post them up too. :thumbsup:

·
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heres a couple of em preening on rocks,notice the rose coloration on breast of the one on the right and the greenish tint on the back of the head

·
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Heres a sheet of 2"X8" foam with the patterns drawn on it.Each one is 19" by 10".I copied them onto the board at 45 degree angle to maximize the amout of dekes I could get out of a board.

·
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I cut them out with a nice clean cross cut hand saw,cut straight lines until they connected and then the irregular shape block comes out

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.