Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How solid should obedience be before beginning force fetch? My labs 12 months old, but I am just finding the time needed to force fetch him. He is pretty good with his commands on the lead, but he isn't rock solid.

·
Registered
279 Posts
gcbowhunter said:
How solid should obedience be before beginning force fetch? My labs 12 months old, but I am just finding the time needed to force fetch him. He is pretty good with his commands on the lead, but he isn't rock solid.
I salute you for this inquiry. The lack of formalized obedience has degraded many efforts over the years, and the trainers have often resorted to excessive corrections that degraded the focus of their FF sessions.

Be thorough, and hold high standards. Are you familiar with what I'm referring to in regard to "Formalized" standards?

EvanG

·
Registered
279 Posts
gcbowhunter said:
Are you familiar with what I'm referring to in regard to "Formalized" standards?
Not really, something like the dog knows he has to follow commands?
Exactly like that. We go to great lengths to teach dogs what we want them to do. That is as it should be because nearly everything we want them to do is our idea, not theirs.

However, they all reach an age of adolescence and begin to challenge authority. They still know what to do, but aren't so sure they need to do it, especially when they're distracted by life around them. Enter formalization.

What the process of adding force to known commands gives dogs is a positive sense that they not only should obey...they must obey, thus making them far more reliable. This precludes side issues with obedience diluting your force fetch sessions when the dog wants to squirm, stand up, lay down, spin, or any of the other expectable reactions to pressure.

Spend a couple weeks on this, and your dog will be much better prepared for a sound course of force fetch.

EvanG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts