Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I can find on line a steel shot velocity and energy chart?

I have found one for Hevi and some comparison stuff, but I need an all shot size chart with velocity up to 1500 or 1550.

·
Registered
8,760 Posts
Reloading Specialties Inc, found that any steel pellet traveling 575 fps or faster will penetrate to kill. I like to use 600 fps for Big geese like Brezny.
As the size of the steel pellet goes up the amount of energy to penetrate goes up because of its larger frontal area (resistance to penetration). You can get Ed Lowery's Ballistics for Shotshells from Precision Reloading. This gives you all the info you need including corrections for elevation and temperature. i.e My steel BB's kill 7-8 yds further here at 3600 ft vs sea level. Ed's charts also have penetratlion of specific pellet size and mv at any distance in ballistic gelatin. Good Luck, Ned S :smile:

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, thanks. I have been doing a lot of research to get started loading the high velocity steel loads and have come to the conclusion to start out with the RSI manual and wads. I will add Ed Lowery's Ballistics for Shot shells from Precision Reloading as well.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I picked this off the kent fast steel forum topic. This was what I was looking for.

Steel Ballistic chart

Shot size 6 5 4 3 2 1 B BB BBB T

1450 fps 43 47 51 55 58 62 65 70 73 77
1500 fps 44 48 52 56 59 64 68 71 75 79
1550 fps 45 49 53 57 61 65 69 73 77 81
1600 fps 46 50 54 58 62 66 71 75 78 82
1650 fps 47 51 55 59 63 67 72 76 80 84
1700 fps 47 51 56 60 64 68 73 77 81 86
1750 fps 47 51 56 60 64 68 73 77 81 86
1800 fps 47 51 56 60 64 68 73 77 81 86

The above chart shows the yardage at which the velocity becomes 575 fps, the minimum penetration ( killing ) velocity. Notice that there is no advantage of velocities greater than 1650 fps for 5 and 6's and 1700 fps for 4 to T's

·
Registered
591 Posts
I too, have been searching for a more detailed chart on steel. I would love to find one myself.

The problem with the chart that you found is, it is basically useless. To say that 575 fps is the min. killing velocity is completly false. It does not take into account the penetration of small or large pellets or what you are hunting. A 2 going 575 fps might pentrate a duck at 55 yards ,but would not penetrate a goose far enough to penetrate its vitals. A BB going 575 fps would. "Killing velocity" is kinda misleading in this chart.

The whole object to picking a shot size is such a mystery to most and most have no idea the theory behind it. You want to use the SMALLEST shot that will completly penetrate the vital organs of the bird you are shooting at the range you are shooting. The more pellets the better. If you are keeping the shots withen 45 yards , the CONSEP studies have shown 4's are enough to penetrate the vitals of all size ducks (and they use load velocities of 1,225-1450 fps). If you are planing to shoot longer distances you need the bigger shot to penetrate sufficiantly. The higher velocities help, but you still need to have a dense enough pattern to make for sure you have good odds of putting enough pellets in a vital area.

Speed does kill, I like to use the 1550 fps loads myself. But, in my opinion , the reason people like the faster loads so much better and think they kill SO much better is because the faster shells let them center more ducks. Everone knows that most ducks are missed behind. The faster shells get the duck in the middle instead of the fringe of the pattern. I normally will drop a pellet size when I go to a faster shell to get a a little denser pattern.

I know I got a little off the topic but, I've seen that chart a few times in the forums on this site and just felt like responding tonight.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with your statement. This is just a start. The size of the bird is important. I assume this is for ducks looking at the ranges for the shot sizes. Also the size of the pellet is important because larger will not penetrate as well as a smaller pellet of the same energy or mass and velocity. Just using velocity doesn't tell you everything. It is a good piece of the puzzle because it at least shows the effects on greater and greater velocity and gives some indication of the differences between the pellet sizes and how the are effected by velocity over distance. My issue with steel has always been pellet size and energy compared to pellet count. I don't care how well #2 or BB's kill ducks if I can't put enough hits on them to get a clean kill. As I get ready to start loading my own ammo I have many questions about the proper shot size and velocity. At this time I am thinking 1500 fps 1 1/8 oz #4 over decoys and #3 pass shooting in reasonable range. If you have more please post it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
yup, i agree. my cousins swear by bb's for everything, yet i knock down duck further out with deuces. the less bb's, the more holes in the pattern at longer ranges, and bigger shot is designed for longer ranges? maybe it works for geese, but as far as ducks go, i never shoot bigger than deuces. i use a full choke at longer ranges, as it seems as long as you use smaller pellets, the choke isnt in any danger. i have shot 2's through my old full choked H&R long tom, no problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.