Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the difference, will I be in trouble a year down the road if I buy a Franchi model 612 0r 620 or a Stoeger model 2000. I'm kind of wondering whats the deal w/ the stoegers b/c they are offering the same recoil system benelli's using but at half the price. 400 for a semi seems a little cheap, I'm wondering if it would be about the same reliability as a charles daly semi, no offense to anyone.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I have only had the pleasure to hunt with guys shooting Benelli SBEs. My boss has a franchi 912 that he loves. The SBEs are awesome though, I have seen them in a goose pit with sand falling all over them and they never jammed.... My buddy has one that he never cleans throughout the season, and it shoots flawless... SBEs cost some money, but there is a reason everyone has them..

Mike

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Stoeger 2000 uses Franchi stocks, Benelli innards, and Beretta Barrels. THe are all owned by the Beretta Holding Corp., so they kinda share info it looks like. My Xtrema uses the same bolt as the SBE

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so how in the name of pete do they make them only 400 dollars when, benelli, arguably the most reliable gun out there, is made of the "same" stuff and it costs double. An 11 87 even costs a considerable amount more.

·
Registered
348 Posts
bassinator, that's a good question. Especially when the Benelli uses less parts. Sure it took some money to get them where they are with recoil operation and aesthetics they have, but I'm sure that was well paid for a while ago. Even the SBE 2's. That's not to say I'm not getting one anymore but it sure makes me wonder. Less parts, but, a lot fancier and more quality put into the Benelli is probably what we'll end up determining

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so do you think that it would be worth it to by a stoeger semi auto or a franchi, and I wouldn't be making one of the worst gun purchasing decisions of my life? I don't want to get one and then have it break in 2 years. I dunno I'm torn.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Stoegers are built in Turkey. Benellis' and Franchis' are built in Italy. Hence the difference in cost. Turkey salaries are veeeery low. However, the difference is not only in the workmanship. The Stoeger uses cheap materials too. I've held one in my hands once, and believe me, it's nowhere near a Benelli.

If you want something cheaper than the SBE, from the 3 you mention get the Franchi. I have a Franchi 712 and I couldn't be happier. Ofcourse Benellis are tough to beat, especially for waterfowling.

Leo

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah, thats kind of what I was thinking and was leaning towards a franchi anyways. I'm not quite ready to get a SBE b/c I don't even have a job yet. :yes: But I think I can get a franchi since 5-600 isn't very bad for a semi auto. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey! today is my first day new to this forum so.....greetings.
I have a stoeger 2000 that I bought last year and also a Benelli. There is a huge difference in the two. The Stoeger has a different and inferior ejection and recoil system. I enjoy my Stoeger a lot and it is a back up duck/dove/goose/turkey gun. (look at the forearm of the stoeger, very long like a typical auto, now look at the M1, M2 and SBE, much shorter, the recoil system is in the stock, the bolts look the same when in the gun but take them out and see the difference) My new Benelli M2 shoots much smoother than any other shotgun I have ever bought. Look at the vent rib on any benelli, it starts out on the barrel, then raises really high, then back down at the muzzle REASON: when you aim with a BPS or 870 or Gold, the sight rail is tapered, you see part of the rail in the sight picture. With the Benelli's when you raise up all you should see it the front bead/sight, much easier to point. I bought my M2 for $859 new. It doesn't take 3 1/2" which doesn't bother me b/c I never shoot 3 1/2 " so for anyone considering a Franchi or Stoeger I would encourage you to get the real deal go for the M2 or if you MUST have 3 1/2 get the SBE, (not trying to start another thread here but....my shotgun growing up was a 2 3/4 Wingmaster and it slaughtered some ducks.
Glad to be a part of the forum.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Stoegers are built in Turkey. Benellis' and Franchis' are built in Italy. Hence the difference in cost. Turkey salaries are veeeery low. However, the difference is not only in the workmanship. The Stoeger uses cheap materials too. I've held one in my hands once, and believe me, it's nowhere near a Benelli.
Really...is that why my Stoeger has "Made in Brazil" stamped on it????
I own a Benelli also....
I know this is an old post...but dont talk out your *** unless you know what your talkin about

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can only comment on the Franchi. I own a 912 and love it! I have shot a couple different benelli's and I am very happy with my decision to go with the less expensive gun> I've owned it for almost four years now. I mostly duck hunt with it, but I have brought it Turkey hunting a couple times as well.

·
Registered
687 Posts
From "research": The SBE II is suppose to be more reliable from the cold forging to the mechanics. Personal opinion, I love the way the SBEII feels. It just fits. I didn't like the way the stouger fit. The forearm didn't feel right to me (my left arm is funky though). I liked the way the Franchi I-2 felt almost as good as the SBEII for about $750 less. I bought the Franchi and abused it already. Hunted salt water (it literally got surface rust infront of my eyes, nothing oil couldn't take care of). I have shot about 3 1/2 boxes through 3 of which were low brass trap loads. Had no problems. I think they all are good buys for the money. It just depends on how much money you want to spend.

·
Registered
988 Posts
98ramtough said:
I have only had the pleasure to hunt with guys shooting Benelli SBEs. My boss has a franchi 912 that he loves. The SBEs are awesome though, I have seen them in a goose pit with sand falling all over them and they never jammed.... My buddy has one that he never cleans throughout the season, and it shoots flawless... SBEs cost some money, but there is a reason everyone has them..

Mike
Nuff said, Benelli all the way :toofunny:

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Yes Elmer Fudd not all guns are made in the same country. I agree with the guys on here also about Beretta owns Benelli and Stoeger and Franchi and Burris and Uberti and i think Federal, Kalispel, Gerber and Realtree. Even though the Benelli is probably the best i would get a Franchi its a good gun. Why was this thread ressurected anyway?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I have hunted with 35 dollar shotguns and I have hunted with 3500 dollar shotguns but when Im hunting it really dosnt hurt my feeling to put a scrach , get muddy , drop in water , that 35 dollar shotgun. all three make good shotguns go with the one you like and that fits or not just my two cents

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.