Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here ever had the priveledge of catching a striper. We have a place at a lake in Oklahoma that is famous for striper. Over the 4th me and my friend went and we caught some 4-5 pounders when they were on top. My dad and his friends went out the night before and caught a 12 pounder. They are fun to catch.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I fish striped bass in one of the coastal rivers here in MA. Striper fishing or as we like to say it in a Boston accent, "stripah" fishing is my favorite way to fish by a long shot. Stripers are so much fun to catch. Even the little ones or what we call "schoolies" fight like hell.

·
Registered
222 Posts
fishing for rockfish is one of my favorite things to do on the bay. they have been getting bigger and bigger here recently. i love pulling up to some birds, droping a jig and nailing the bigguns under all the little guys.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Nevada's Lake Mead has 60 pound strippers, plus the Colo river on the boarder. 60 miles from Reno, is the Sacramento River in California.
It is over 100 miles long and dumps into San Francisco bay , which leads to the Pacific ocean. Fresh & salt strippers can go up to 90 pounds.

Salt: Surf c/o plugs or cut bait. River: troll Rapalas with jig below, or toss out cut bait or jig & spoon for them. Using bait you might hook up with a 300 pound sturgeon.
Utah's Lake Powell has so many strippers there is NO LIMIT on how many you can catch !! (only 12 hours from Reno) Ha Ha Been there done that..

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
:toofunny: Ya gotta learn how to spell Kiwi :laughing: STRIPPERS work in cheesey night clubs Stripers are a fish. Although in a very dark night club you might mistake one for the other if all you do is smell it. :eek:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I try and make it down to texhoma every year to striper fish. Here is the pic from last time I was down there in 2004. This was a pic of my dad and I. We were limited to were we could go on the lake because the lake was so rough. The weather that day was I think 25 degrees and 35mph wind. But still had lots of fun!

[/url]

·
Registered
42 Posts
During the summer months the stripers come up out of the Gulf of Maine and it can be a blast...I was able to fish for them just about every morning and there were days where we wouldnt see a striper under 30". One day was so good that my buddy caught 4 fish over 40" in one morning....damn unheard of. This is definetly an imporvement over the years when there seemed to be no fish in the river. But i agree that there is nothing like a big striper taking a top water bait...only another couple of months til their back... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't done much of the deeper water striper fishing but i LOVE catching them on top, most fun out of all the fish i've ever caught to go fishing for.

·
Registered
25 Posts
AH my other passion... I am currently studying for my captains license(six pac), then I will go for my Maine State tidal guides license to guide striper fishing on the famous Kennebec river here in Maine. They usually show up here in late May.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
We fish them here on the Annapolis River and the Minas Basin. My personal best is only 18 lb but have seen some really big fish caught over the years. Now we are limited to one fish over 26 !/8 " and they are talking about closing it altogether as there are no numbers of large bass around. They have gone down hill ever since the power turbine was installed on the Annapolis River where they used to spawn. :thumbsdown:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.